Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardening candle wax

Posted by cfmuehling (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 23, 09 at 8:43

Hi all!
I'm about to venture into a candle try.
I have more than a few candles that burned down so fast and all over the place, that I saved them for their scent. Then I read articles about making new candle out of them. I've bought the wicks from Michael's and have the containers.

It occurred to me that I'll have the same trouble with their quick burning softness, since it's the same wax! I was wondering if there is an ingredient or other wax type I could add that would make these a little slower burning? Harder, perhaps?

Thanks. This is my first venture and I want to like the results! I might go a little more indeptth.

Christine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardening candle wax

Candlemaking is not really as simple as melting and pouring, unless you don't care about quality; but obviously you do. It make a quality candle you need to test ! your wax choice (many many choices out there)...do you want paraffin, soy, beeswax, blend of different? Then you need to decide on which wicks and fragrance oils you want to use. Many choices again on both. Micheals is not what you want for quality; but it can give you basic idea of putting a wick in wax. There are several quality suppliers on the interenet. I'd start with googling "candle supplies" and find some sources for purchasing ingredients. Many of teh suppliers have forums that have information. Of try doing search on how to make a candle, etc. In candlemaking there are temperature guidleines, wick size guidelines, and fragrance amount guidelines (ex. if you add too much fragrance the candle may start on fire). I don't mean to scare you away from candlemaking. I just want you to start out on the right foot. You may email me of you would like more help: micandlebunkin@yahoo.com
Trudi

o

Candle making is not really as simple as melting and pouring, unless you don't care about quality; but obviously you do. It make a quality candle you need to test ! your wax choice (many many choices out there)...do you want paraffin, soy, beeswax, blend of different? Then you need to decide on which wicks and fragrance oils you want to use. Many choices again on both. Micheal's is not what you want for quality; but it can give you basic idea of putting a wick in wax. There are several quality suppliers on the internet. I'd start with google search "candle supplies" and find some sources for purchasing ingredients. Many of the suppliers have forums that have information. Of try doing search on how to make a candle, etc. In candle making there are temperature guidelines, wick size guidelines, and fragrance amount guidelines (ex. if you add too much fragrance the candle may start on fire). I don't mean to scare you away from candle making. I just want you to start out on the right foot. You may email me of you would like more help: micandlebunkin@yahoo.com
Trudi

o

I actually want to use the wax that is already scented. I want to harden it and make jar candles.
I have no idea of what wax I want to use, other than something harder than what these candles evidently were.

I am definately reading, but not ready to jump into full-blown candle production.

I appreciate the admonishment to be careful about quality and testing. Thank you.
C.

o

I don't know what kind of wax those candles were made of. But you can usually add some beeswax or stearic acid (which comes in flakes) as hardeners. Both are available at craft shops.

o

That helps, Sara. Thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here