Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
goat's milk melt & pour soap base from scratch

Posted by poupstar (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 5:10

Hi
I am new to making soap. Can someone please provide me with an easy GOAT'S MILK MELT & POUR soap base recipe from scratch? I want to make myself a large batch for making many different kinds of MELT & POUR soap. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: goat's milk melt & pour soap base from scratch

Here's the same link I posted on the Glycerin recipe thread.
It looks like it's not easy to make your own.

Probably even much more costly then buying 2-5lbs from a reputable online supplier.

All the work except scenting, coloring and adding a bit of other goodies is done for you when buying a M&P base.

Some reputable suppliers are Brambleberry.com, greatcandle.com and snowtopcandlesupplies.com.

I've done business with all three, not soap, but their fragrance oils, and a few other supplies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soap making methods

o

Hi Terri,
is making M&P soap base the same process as making cold process soap without adding any color & fragrance?? Am I understand it correctly?

o

Here's the M&P information from the link above.

Melt and Pour Soap:
Technically, all hand made soap is "Glycerin Soap." In many commercial soaps, all the extra glycerin (formed naturally by the cold process soapmaking method) is harvested out. Thus, all handmade soap is glycerin rich (since hand made soapmakers dont harvest out glycerin in their soap).

In todays market, the term "Glycerin Soap" is commonly used to refer to clear soap. Generally, the clear soap has extra glycerin added to it to produce a very nourishing, moisturizing bar. Glycerin is a "humectant." It draws moisture to itself; the theory is that if you wash with glycerin soap, a thin layer of glycerin will remain, drawing moisture to your skin.

Clear soap can be purchased in large blocks to be melted down, colored and fragranced, and placed into molds (or used to make loaves of soap to be sliced). This type of soap is called "Melt and Pour" and the artistry of melt and pour is called "Soap Casting." Melt and Pour is gaining in popularity because of its ease of use. There are no significant safety measures (other than basic common sense dont put your hand in the hot soap, dont cut your finger off with the knife etc) needed for soapcasting. Children can do it. Its a great outlet for creative types.

You can also make clear soap from scratch. This method involves all the aspects of cold process soapmaking, but takes it a few steps further by adding alcohol for clarity and a glycerin and sugar mix to suspend and enhance the clarity. It is a dangerous process because of the alcohol vapors. If you wish to make clear soap (which will not melt down like melt and pour its one pour only soap), please read "Transparent Soapmaking" by Catherine Failor. This is an excellent resource for anyone wishing to make clear soap from scratch.

So to answer your question, yes and no.... I refuse to make CP soap in my home, because I'd have to LOCK up the chemicals. I have very busy inquisitive boys. And once they learned that I had "cool" stuff..they'd wanna try it too. If I wanted to make my "own" soaps, I'd much prefer to buy M&P in blocks and enhance it, or buy soap to rebatch by taking CP soap someone else made, grating and adding more liquids and cooking it down to make a "new" soap.
But I don't need to, because I have wonderful friends who make it and send it to me to "test". LOL

o

Thank you Terri. I thought I'd make it by myself b/c it's hard to find the supplier here where I live. (Bangkok, Thailand) I also checked the reputable online suppliers but the shipping cost to Thailand is very high. I guess I'd have to continue to find the place I could buy M&P soap base here or learn to make basic CP soap by myself to rebatch. Thanks again for being very helpful. :)

o

Ah...that's along way. What about getting it from another country overseas?
I have friends in Australia, and there is a supplier there that carries most of Brambleberry's line. I would email Anne-Marie(owner of Brambleberry in Washington State). She's a wonderful person, she's extremely knowledgeable, and she'd be happy to help you, even to just answer questions. She's the one who also runs and writes up most of Teachsoap.com. (The link I used to quote the above information.)

I'm sure there are some places in the UK too.

Eek..I did just do some checking. Postal rates are harsh in the US, but not as harsh as it is to Thailand, even from Aus!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Brambleberry

o

Hi Terri.
Thanks for your suggestion. I'd really like to buy from brambleberry.com but the shipping & handling is too high for me. -_-" Anyway, I finally found the place to buy soap base here! I accidently found this Thai soap making book and it provided the places where I can get all stuff for making M & P soap. Though the soap bases available here are not as variety as in the US, (only Clear glycerine and Opaque; no Goat's milk, Shea butter etc) but the quality is alright and so is the price. At the moment, I enjoy making soap as new year gifts to my friends. (we don't celebrate Christmas here in Thailand) Well, I hope everything's great where you are and Happy Holidays. :)

o

Good I'm glad you found some. You do know that you can add a bit of ingredients to M&P. If you can get some powdered Goat milk or shea butter in your country, you can add some of those ingredients to the "plain" soap.

Life is good here..Happy Holidays to you too!

o

Poupstar,

While you are toying with the idea of making cold processed soap, keep an eye out for the ingredients needed, like sodium hydroxide and other fats and oils, and see if it is plausible.
With CP soap, the biggest obstacle is getting over the handling of the sodium hydroxide. Then most everything else is a gradual learning curve with lots of experimentation if desired.

Good luck!

o

Hi, melt & pour soap can be made from scratch using the hot process method and is very similar to Catherine Failor's method for transparent soap. There is a great tutorial on YouTube by edentiafarms if you search 'melt & pour from scratch'.

o

hi!

please help me! i need ingedients of making soap base from scratch. and the instructions.

please!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here