Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rookie with questions. :)

Posted by party_music50 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 14:32

Hi all --

I'm planning a get-together with my 14yo niece, and one of the things we'll do is make some candles. I mentioned the "ice candles" we made when I was a kid, and she says that sounds cool. I was just going to buy some paraffin wax and use ice cubes or crushed ice, packed into a cardboard milk carton. I'm wondering how much paraffin I'll need to make several of them (we'll use both half-gallon and quart sized cartons). Paraffin isn't easy to find in the stores now... it was almost $4.50/lb at a local hardware store, and I thought that seemed very expensive. I can order 10 lbs on-line for around $20 plus $15 shipping, so wondered if that was the best way to go.

Also: my niece mentioned she'd like to try making gelly candles. I researched and thought that the materials for that might make a good xmas present for her. I was able to find 25oz or 55oz gelly wax on-line... how much should I get for a beginner who just wants to try it? I realize I need to get zinc-cored wicks for that, as well as appropriate dyes or scents or "additives" to suspend in the gel. :)

Thanks for any help!!! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rookie with questions. :)

You should check out WalMart, Michaels, or HobbyLobby for your supplies. They all carry parrifin, soy and gel wax. Reasonable prices. You can also buy a set of everything you will need in one box. It has the jars, scents, wicks, wax, everything in one box. If you have a JoAnn Fabrics nearby, they carry candle supplies also.

As for how much wax you will need for the ice candles, I would say probably around 10#.

Hope this is helpful.

o
RE: Rookie with questions. :)

That's all very helpful info. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here