Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using Saponaria

Posted by runningtrails (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 16, 08 at 12:24

Soap Wort (Saponaria) grows all over here. I would love to use in my soapmaking. I have read that infusing the chopped root in warm water is the best way to make soap with it. Has anyone used it in their regular CP soap? Does it add more lather or have any other beneficial effects in regular soap? I want to try making shampoo from the roots, by itself, without the CP soap.

I have read that bracken root is also high in saponins and I have a lot of that, as well.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using Saponaria

Saponaria is also known as Bouncing Bet and is a 24" tall, pale pink/white native wildflower along the US's east coast to the midwest. The name is also applied to rock soapwort, a low growing introduced rockgarden groundcover with pretty pink flowers in mid-spring. The root of Bouncing Bet will create a light lather in warm water-- just swish it around. It is historically used for cleaning antique or delicate linens. I have used it as a powdered soap replacement in a muslin bag, but it creates a brown scum & gives a tea-brown tinge to water. While this will wash out without staining, it's a little offputting to the first time user. It does not do much (or anything) to either M&P or CP/HP soap because its saponin content isn't strong enough. If you want to make soap from natural plant sources you might want to try soap BARK or Soap NUTS, both of which are tropical plants. Any of the Yucca roots will also produce (a sometimes sticky) lather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here