Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to making soy candles

Posted by karen_b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 07 at 11:30

I haven't made candles since I was a teenager and would like to start refilling my own crocks & glass containers. Soy wax, cotton wicks, no scent or color. I was hoping I could get recommendations from experienced candle makers on suppliers of soy wax & what kind works best for large crocks (>75 oz) & glass containers like old Yankee & canning jars.

Also what kind/size & brand cotton wicks do you all recommend along with a source.

I recently had to find a new candle shop to refill my crocks and was taken back from what she charged. I used to pay $10 for an 86 fl oz crock of paraffin to $46 for soy. I didn't pay that much for the crock already filled.
Thank you in advance for any suggestions & recommendations.
Karen in southcentral PA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to making soy candles

Hi, I started making soy candles this year. Not a pro, but learning alot. I started with a kit from MillCreek Soy Wax Candle Supply. Maybe check them out!
Courious why you don't want any scent?

o

I burn candles for the ambiance not the aroma. If I want aroma I'll bake cookies or a pie or something like that. Besides I don't want to inhale the toxins the oils may emit.

o

I just posted to you at the Craft forum..

I will reitterate..soy wax burns better when a fragrance oil is added..you'll have to up the wick size actually to burn a non oil scented candle.

And about the toxins...If you buy quality oils, presented by people who work hard at having them created to resale..you get quality products.

Most people that have trouble with burning candles, actually have trouble with the "gas"(I don't know what the technical term is. LOL) given off by paraffin burning, not the oil that fragrances them.

I have an asthmatic that purchases only my soy candles, because she can't be around any others without an attack happening.

And if you want ambiance, with no scent the cheapest way to get that isn't soy, but palm steric acid.And paper wicks are best for that "wax". Which you can buy at candle supply places..it's an additive used with paraffin wax to "stregthen" the wax to make stronger molded candles like pillars and such.

Hmm which gives me the thought that maybe you should look at palm waxes, or palm based waxes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Candle-wic

o
New to making soy candles

Hi, I really could use a little help. Has anyone made a soy candle in a large foil container? I wanted to know if this is practical, cheaper, and feasible? I ask because I want to start making them for myself, and my family. And I'm trying to learn about the containers before I get started. I appreciate all responses, and I thank you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here