Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New, Neat, Nifty??

Posted by Hazel_SC (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 1, 03 at 1:50

Anybody doing anything new, neat & nifty?

I got some glow in the dark powder off of ebay to try in soap, but haven't done it yet.....maybe this weekend......

am waiting for some new oils to come in so I can try those....

haven't made anything really new this year, may try some vacuum freshners this weekend also.

Craft shows have been so bad, no incentive to WANT to make anything new, have actually been working on cross stitch for christmas, & no sew blankets..

So how's everyone else doing????

Hazel

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New, Neat, Nifty??

I found a set of alphabet erasers (each letter about an inch tall) at a dollar store. I'm going to use them to make initial embedded soap (in clear base M&P) for kids.

Also found a candy mold (at WalMart) of the alphabet, letters also about an inch tall. Think this will be more practical for embedded initials, if I don't have problems with color migration. (That is why I really like the idea of the 'plasticy' erasers!

Obviously not new ideas, but nifty if they work for me!

o

Craft shows around here have been flops, too, Hazel. Not worth our time and effort. Private sales are great, still. As far as new..nothing here but I am considering trying some lotion bars although I haven't made up my mind yet. Have you ever made them? We sell the vacuum sachets (we call them drawer, closet and vacuum bag sachets) and they are also great in cars. They sell like hotcakes- we sell a package of two (made with small teabags) for $1.00. The cheapest place I have found to get the teabags is Starville Soap Supply. WSP has them but they have either small quantities or a very large quantity. I needed more than their small quantity but not nearly as much as their large quantity, so I went with Starville. I use the corn cob bedding and 1 ounce of fragrance oil to 2 cups of corn cob.
Susan

o

Susan,
I'm using vermuclite for my freshners......about 3.00 for 8 qts at the nursery.

Do you scent your corn cob then leave it for a few days, or package it immediately?

I was going to make mine the same way I do potpourri-make it & let it age for a few days before bagging it, but I wondered what you did....

Hazel

o

I got the freshners & the glow in the dark soap done,
and my new oils came in, & I played with a couple of them. THe lilac is great, so is the raspberry cordial.

But with the craft shows being so slow, theres no real incentive to get alot done......

hazel

o

Good to see you, Hazel! I haven't checked the board in a few days because it has been so slow. I put my fresheners in a glass jar (I use canning jars) and let them sit for about a week. I have never heard of using vermiculite. Isn't that those little white balls that you mix in with dirt? I didn't know they would absorb- I have always used them to keep the potting soil from packing down and getting too "heavy" in plants like African Violets or large pots (makes the large pots much lighter weight).
Susan

o

vermiculite is the little mica looking stuff you find in potting soil. THe white stuff is pearlite-basically styrofoam. Vermiculite is in garden centers also. Tried lowes, but couldn't find any, had to go to a nursery/garden center to get it.

seems to be holding scent well--the sample I got about 3 yrs ago still smelled decent.

I'll try to get a picture done later...

Hazel

o

Here is a picture of my carpet freshner.
Don't know if the picture is good enough to clearly see the vermiculite.
The plastic bag (2" x 3") is stapled inside card stock that is then folded over & stapled closed at the top.
Front of the card is show on the right.

I did 7 scents: Victorian Christmas, Gingerbread, Rose, Magnolia, Lavender, Cucumber Melon, & Vanilla Sugar

(Sorry it's so big...)

Hazel

o

That looks good, Hazel. Pearlite is what I was thinking about- when you said the name I remembered it was that and not vermiculite. I use tea bags- that way they are clost/drawer/car/vacuum bag sachets, whatever you want to use them for. I may give the vermiculite a try and see how it compares to the corn cob stuff.
Susan

o

After reading your post about the tea bags I did a few in each scent in the tea bags, to see which sells better. I staple each bag to the right edge of the card, fold over the front & staple it on the outside (as opposed to the top).

Shows have been so slow here & I only have 3 more (2 are bigger shows) I only made 8 of each scent, & have the pre scented stuff here to make about 4-6 more of each scent if I need to. (both bigger shows are 2 day shows, so I can come home & assemble if needed for the next day).
I priced them at 1.00 each, but I think I'm gonna make a sign that says 1.00 each, or 6 for 5.00

Hazel

o

Shows around here have been slow, too. Not only for me, but for everybody. Hopefully it will pick up soon since the Christmas season will soon be starting. I sell my tea bags (small tea bags) 2 for $1.00. I package them (two to a pack, same fragrance) and enclose them in small celo bags. The price is $1.00 per pack of two, not two packages of 2 for $1.00. The six for $5.00 is a good idea- I may try that.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here