Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade bubble bath?

Posted by sandylaine (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 10, 09 at 23:01

I was wondering if anyone has made any homemade bubble bath here. I've been looking at recipes online - Most of them are very similiar - they call for a bar of castille soap, shredded, a quart or so of water and some kind of essential oil or scent, and glycerine. It sounds good to me, but none of the recipes on various sites have said how much of this concoction you'd have to use in a bath to get bubbles. I would hate to make a quart of this if I had to pour half of it in the tub to get bubbles. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade bubble bath?

Well I found 2 recipes.. hopefully one will work for you. :0)

Bubble Bath (moisturizing)
1/2C soap flakes
1C boiling water
3T sweet almond oil
few drops essential oils (optional)
Dissolve soap in boiling water. Immediately add almond oil to water mixture, then EO. Stir constantly while you add 4-5 T of the solution to your bath.
The rest can be used later, but must be remixed. Shelf life one month.

I would put this in a bottle so you can just shake it. I don't know how much I personally like this one.. because unless it is moving while you pour it in.. it sounds like it separates. Not fun!
Next one! Which is the one I really think you are looking for. :0)

Basic Bubble Bath
1 quart water
1 bar castile soap, shredded
2 oz. Glycerin
3 drops fragrance oil

Add castile soap to hot/warm water. Mix until you have a liquid solution. Add glycerin and mix. Add fragrance.

This one sounds way better, but I thought I would give you both so you can decide yourself. Have fun with your bubbles!
Stacy of Lone Tree Soaps

o
RE: Homemade bubble bath?

The reason the recipes don't tell you how much to use is that if you're using soap to make bath water foamy, the amount required depends on the amount of bath water times the "hardness" of the water. In many waters it could require more than an entire bar of soap to make a full tub foamy. This is very different from conventional bath foams, where the amount you need is practically independent of the water. For most people, a bubble bath based on actual soap soap is not practicable. Although some people used soap powder or flakes to make a bubble bath before (or even after) foamier alternatives were available, to get enough suds that way you have to make the water pretty soapy, which will tend to dry skin and/or make it itchy afterward.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here