Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fragrance oils

Posted by LibbyLiz (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 8, 03 at 17:26

I read on a previous post that certain soap scents can be used for candles, but I have the reverse question... can FOs for candles/potpourri be used for soaps?

These are the kind bought at Michaels & WalMart in the potpourri/light ring/oil-diffuser/candle section.

They're in 2 oz. clear or brown bottles with eye droppers & aren't labeled as to being safe/not safe for skin contact.

I just don't want to have to buy all new scents just for soaps if I already have the scent for candles, etc., as that'd be too expensive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fragrance oils

the only way to know if they are skin safe if it's NOT labeled is to contact the manafacture. usually there is a web site listed on the package, if not do a search on google etc.

A lot of companies are now listing it automatically because so many folks are doing soap & candles, BUT if you aren't sure DON'T do it. Skin reactions can be ugly!

Hazel

o

I agree with Hazel. If it doesn't say skin/soap safe, I wouldn't use it. The ones at Wal-Mart are a very cheap grade of fragrance oil and are not near the quality of the oils from places like Brambleberry, Bittercreek, etc., and are probably formulated just for the specific use listed.
Susan

o

Along the same line as Hazel and Susan - My first reaction would be a very big NO! Most reputable FO companies will label their products for specific uses. I order from a company whose label states exactly what the FO can be used for (soap, candle, lip) and even has the flashpoint on the label for candle use. A good rule of thumb may be if it's cheap it's not safe for skin.

JMHO
Heather

o

Well, it's not what I wanted to hear, but I'll do as suggested & buy scents specifically for soap making & keep the other fragrance oils for candles, light rings, porpourri, & oil diffusers.

It was also recommended to me to stay away from Life of the Party products because of the bases/scents being inferior quality & the scents disappearing in the pour, so I'll look for other brands when I go back to Hobby Lobby during their 1/2 off candle/soap-making supplies sale.

Thank you for your help!

o

LibbyLiz - Check the link I just posted for Felicia's Fragrance Finder. It is a treasure trove of info. As in most things in life, you get what you pay for... if you buy a fragrance that is cheap, it won't smell as good, the fragrance will be faint, and it may give your final product problems (seizing, color shift, etc.) Go with tried-and-true suppliers.

o

I'm holding off purchasing scents for now. Auntie Celene said she'll send me what samples she doesn't want/like. I figure they can be used for small batches.

Also, I think most of the ones I need for herbals/hand-milleds can probably be found in a natural food store's essential oil section. Or maybe I can use steeped herbs, spices, rinds, and/or teas?

Hobby Lobby only had lavender, peppermint, clove, ylang-ylang, & eucalyptus EOs anyhow, at roughly $3.50 per 1/2 oz. I already had 100% pure eucalyptus EO from when I had a real bad cold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here