Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Candle Making

Posted by maryb_ms_44 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 1, 06 at 17:00

I have decided that I want to make candles as my husband and I love having them in the house. I have been looking on the web and am overwhelmed by all the sites.I need some help for a beginner and I would like to start with container candles. If anyone out there has a good source for supplies and info I would appricate the help.(what kind of wax, wicks etc to use.)Thanks in advance Maryb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Candle Making

Hi Mary,
What area of the country?
And what kind of wax? Soy, veggie blends, paraffin?
What kind of jars? canning, apoth (kinda traditional glass, think Yankee)
What kind of candles do you burn now that you love?

o

Hi Terri, Thanks for the reply. I am living in NE Mississippi. Born and raised in N.H. I have a candle Kit coming as I was not sure How to start. Wax I like soy, jars kinda traditional Def. Think Yankee.(being that I am one at heart still) I have found a soy from Wal Mart that stays fragent to the end but they are so hard to find.This is why I wanted to start making my own. I am retired and have plenty of time to spend on them. Have always been a crafty person but have never done candles. I am really tired of buying candles and no smell!!!

o

Here's a great link.
You might find some jar and such suppliers near you.

I use Enchanted Lites Soy. Enchanted Lites

Here is a link that might be useful: Suppliers by State

o

Terri, What do you use for wicks? Thanks Maryb

o

Hello Mary,
I used to make my own candles but then found out that I could not sell them without some major insurance coverage so I then started looking for locations where I could purchase quality candles which were vegtable based instead of parrifin which contains petroleum in them and I finally found a great company after alot of searching. So just check on what your state requires before you get into it too much.
Nicole

Here is a link that might be useful: Flickering Lights

o

I use a variety of wicks depending on jar and wax.

I use HTP Wicks(a cotton braided) and cotton core wicks.

o

Terri, Thanks for the info. The state locator was a great help to me on finding area sites on candle making and supplies. Also thanks for the wick info. There is soooo much to learn I feel like a dummie.lol maryb

o

The market for candlesupplies is more varied than the waxes available.
It's nice to get a starting point from someone, but it still takes along time to get things to your own personal liking..
There is no such thing as a dummie candle maker, as long as they are willing to learn, are patient and follow the basic rules of fire and flame.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here