Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rolled Beeswax Pillar Candles

Posted by sara-s (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 5, 08 at 15:54

I have recently started making rolled beeswax candles. I am getting great results with my tapers. They burn all the way down without dripping. But my pillars are another matter. They always start to drip at some point. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rolled Beeswax Pillar Candles

I don't use molds. They are just rolled from beeswax sheets. And if the wicks I am using work with my tapers, I can not imagine they are too large for my pillars. Could they be too small?

o

It doesn't matter if the candle is rolled or poured. The wick is way too small. It is unable to "soak up" and burn off the amount of wax being melted, so therefore it drips, or in some cases, the flame drowns in the melted wax.

Keep in mind, because of the air spaces in rolled candles, they burn hotter and faster, and therefore require a larger wick, than the equivalent size solid candle.

o

Thanks. I bought some larger wicks and will give it another try.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here