Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using regular soap?

Posted by nookie (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 13, 03 at 12:04

I would like to make some soap cut outs for a x-mas basket this year but I'm not having any luck in finding any soap bases (I live in france). Is it possible to just melt everyday bars of soap and pour them into some molds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using regular soap?

I don't think so, because I think the process used in making regular, commercial soap is much different and I don't believe they will melt like Melt and Pour soap bases do, but I am really not sure. Hopefully Hazel will pop in with an answer because she knows a lot more about the different kinds of soap and their processes. I only know Melt and Pour.
Susan

o

well, soap bought in the store HERE, isn't really soap, but detergent.....not really much differnet than you put in your washer or dishwasher....which is why alot of folks have problems with soap....dry skin, rashes etc.

some soaps in Europe MAY be real soap, but I imagine they are as commercilized as were are here in alot of places.

Experience here has been, chopping, shaving etc comercially produced soap, then adding oils etc just don't work, however in Europe she may be able to find glycerin based soap & MAY be able to get it to work. Using "store bought" soap here tends to produce a gloppy mess that doesn't mold or do much of anyhting well.

Getting ready for a show tomorrow....off to run around then go set up for the show.

Hazel

o

Thanks, Hazel. I knew you'd pop in sooner or later. :)
Susan

o

Actually wa have a lot of glycerin based soap here so I guess I'll have to try. I guess I wouldn't be out of too much money if I fail miserably LOL. Do I try to melt it directly on the stove or do I really need a double boiler or bain marie?
Thank you all for your advice!

nookie
who's crossing her fingers lol

o

Some suggest you grate the soap up, add some water, then let it sit for 24 hours (or overnight) before you try to melt it on the stove. It's pretty much a guess and try situation since soaps are all different formulations and therefore melt (or don't!) at different rates. When I tried it (and failed - U.S. 'soap' which is really detergents), I used very low heat and tried for a long time. Good luck, Nookie. Let us know if you are successful!

o

I would try melting it in a double boiler. I use a makeshift double-boiler, one smaller pan inside another larger pan filled with water. I think that would be the best way to try to melt it.
Susan

o

I melt my M&P glycerin base in a glass cup in the microwave, but stove top as Susan mentioned works also. You may have to try differnet "brands" & methods, chopping, grating, plain & with water.....just try to get the plainest glycerin as you can....

Hazel

o

Thank-you everyone for all of your replies!!! I haven't triend to melt any glycerin soap yet but will as soon as I get my bath salts and smelly jellies finished. :o)

o

Be sure and let us know how it turns out.
Susan

o

Just wondered if you had a chance to experiment yet?

hazel

o

I bought some glycerin based soaps to experiment on this weekend and I'll let you all know how it turns out :o)

o

Well that was a flop :o( The soaps I bought didn't melt they curdled lol! I guess that's what I get for buying the cheapest first. I'm going to make a trip to a health store later in the week and see what I can pick up. I'll keep you all posted :o)

o

Ugh. Hopefully the better soaps will melt!
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here