Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Preservative: When, Why & Which One?

Posted by epiphaneee (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 5:08

Hi Everyone. :) I'm new to the site and just started making lotion and want to try a few other goodies that I've read about here. I have a few Q's about preservatives, particularly pertaining to lotions, lotion bars and scrubs.

1) As I understand it, a preservative is necessary for any product that either contains water or will be exposed to water, incl. steam from the shower. Is this the only "rule" or is it safer to use a preservative in other products as well (e.g., lotion bars)?

2) I used Phenonip in my first lotion recipe at +1%, but have seen others that suggest Gerbamen II, Germal and one or two more. Can anyone explain when you should use which one and why?

Thanks So Much!

Epiphaneee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Preservative: When, Why & Which One?

I don't use a preservative in my lotion bars.

Phenonip, is a wide range preservative. It "covers" more bases. And is the best choice when making things that are done over high heat.

Germaben is good for lotions and creams.

Germall II is good for powders, clay masks and things like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: FNWL Preservative help

o

Thanks for the explanation and the link, Terri. :) Much Appreciated!!

o

Hey I'm new to this site also and was wondering where do I get preservatives from. I've tried a health food store and a muslim oils store. Neither one of them had it. I'm really at a loss as to where I can go to get this

o

I've actually seen them on several sites.

Here is a place to start http://www.kangarooblue.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=74

Or
http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/StoreCategory.aspx?CategoryID=811&CategoryName=Preservatives

or you could google it :)

HTH!

o

Two of my favorite places are
Brambleberry
and
Oregon Trails

oh another
Majestic Mountain Sage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here