Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with Lotion

Posted by itsme (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 11, 05 at 0:10

I made my first lotions this weekend and they turned out pretty good except I am dissatisfied with the scents-It's like they disappear or something. I'm using the recommended amounts, putting them in after the stuff cools down. Anyone have a clue what is causing this or how you can enhance the smell? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with Lotion

I don't make my lotions, I use a ready-made base. However, with most of my fragrances I find that I have to add more than the recommended amount. I have also found that they will smell stronger after they have sat for a few days. If they still don't smell good enough for you, go ahead and try adding in more fragrance a little at a time.
Susan

o

Oh Susan
You should try making the lotions, it is soooo much fun-really a cool thing. In just a few minutes you have clear oil and water mixes that turn into thick white cream-really cool, made my own mixture up, thought I had ruined it at first it was watery, when it cooled down it is the neatest stuff. I also made my first sugar scrub, loved the way it made my skin feel. Can you tell I'm excited about this new hobby? My friends say I'm more excited about the lotion than making soap--I think they're right! I'm still debating about ordering from SweetCakes- I ordered the Vanilla Bean Noel knockoff and the Angel knockoff from MMS and was slightly disappointed in them. Don't think they're very true. Trying to spread my hobby dollars around though!

o

I am not sure why I never tried making my own, I guess because I never had all the ingredients required. Do you think it is cheaper to make your own or buy a ready made base, or are the costs about the same? What ingredients did your recipe require? Now you have my curiousity up. LOL.
Susan

o

I debated buying a base but wanted to experiment. I have developed a calculator and my first three batches ranged from 19 to 44 cents an ounce, but I am using some pretty exotic oils such as Red Raspberry Seed which is the most expensive at 5.50 for 2 ozs. I splurged and bought scales, jars, fragrances 9 different oils/butters, etc so I guess in reality the first one cost about $350 the rest have been cheap, LOL. I bought my stuff from Majestic Mountain Sage, they have quite a few recipes and have been fantastic about answering my questions quickly. The first recipe I made was the Coffee Butter Latte cream and the coffee butter was also pretty expensive. for the sugar scrub I used the sunflower oil which is cheap, 16 ozs for $3. I also made a lotion which is their class recipe (not on the website) Then the third batch of lotion I made up myself using my calculator (it gives recommended ranges for ingredients etc) and it came out wonderful (if I could just get it smellier). I feel like a mad scientist, now I just need a lab!

o

Hi Itsme,

What web site do you buy your supplies for the lotion. I am very interested in making my own.

Thanks,
Lis

o

I bought my stuff from Majestic Mountain Sage, they have quite a few recipes and have been fantastic about answering my questions quickly.
Here's the link to the site she refers to above.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Link to MMS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here