Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bath Softerner recipe

Posted by Hazel_SC (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 03 at 21:52

Below is the bath softener recipe I use. It is a VERY dry looking/feeling mixture, but I've had good luck with it. Sometimes they do crack on the top, but they still hold together fine.

Hope this helps y'all.

Hazel

BUBBLING BATH SOFTENER
(BATH BOMBS)

2 Cups baking soda
cup citric acid powder
essential or fragrance oil
witch hazel
flowers, herbs, spices of your choice to complement oil (optional)
molds of your choicecandy molds, faster plaster, soap etc.

Mix citric acid & baking soda thoroughly in bowl. In a separate bowl mix any flowers, herbs, etc. with scented oil, then add to baking soda mixture & stir well. Use a spray bottle to apply witch hazel to mixture. (Approx. oz. per .batch.) Spray a little on, then mix, then spray again. DO NOT GET THE MIXTURE TOO WET!! Mixture should be slightly gummy.
Make sure to scrape sides & bottom of bowl to get all ingredients mixed well.
Mixture is ready to mold when a handful pressed together stays together when
released. Pack mixture FIRMLY into mold, being careful NOT to overfill the mold.
Just level with the top is all you need. You want it flat & level with the top-not
heaped at all. Turn mold upside down & tap firmly to release bath bomb.
(You can also tap the mold sharply on its side against the table-just catch the
bath bomb as it comes out). Allow to dry 2-3 hrs & pack in plastic bags, or a pretty jar to preserve scent.

*I usually wait until they have dried about an hour, then I add 1-2 drops of scented
oil directly to each bath bomb to give it a little more oomph.
*Work quickly with this mixture as it dries out rapidly, & it is difficult to mold if its too dry.
*If mixture becomes too dry to mold you can just break into small clumps, & allow to
dry. Use as you would bubbling bath crystals.
*If mixture sticks to mold, just use a dab of cooking oil on a paper towel, & lightly
grease the mold BEFORE placing mixture in mold.
*Citric acid powder should be firmly packed in your measuring cup, just as you
measure brown sugar.
*For a pretty gift mold into small balls about the size of a walnut (or truffle), allow
to rest on wax paper 2-3 hrs (may need to re-shape slightly) & allow to dry
completely about 36 hrs. Place each ball in a small paper candy cup. You can stack
in layers in a pretty jar, or go to a cake/craft store & get the LB or 1 LB white
candy boxes. Pack each box with the little balls for a cute gift. Use 1-2/bath.
(Please put a label on box saying DO NOT EAT!)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bath Softerner recipe

Thanks, Hazel. This sounds relatively easy and not super-oily like the ones I have used. I am going to buy some citric acid and give them a try.
Susan

o

Hazel,
Thanks for the recipe will try this week, I like the gift idea.

FYI I have been accepted into 4 Holday Craft shows just since Monday!!!! Yeah!!!LOL

I will be busy as @@@@!@$^ getting stock replenished after each show, they are all very large shows but I can't wait.

Thanks
Michelle

o

Congrats! Michelle
What are you making?
Jo

o

Hazel - that is the recipe I use! isn't it cool? BUT a warning if you use dried herbs or petals YOU WILL GET FLOATERS (LOL) The 2nd time I used this recipe I put in Calendula and Lavendar - it was soooo pretty and everyone loved them (gave them as little xmas gifts) only my dearest friend had the nerve to ask if I knew that the leaves floated and filled her tub - how we laughed cause I gave them all away and did not try these (I had made the first batch plain and loved the fizzyness) Another friend took hers to a hotel for a lovely weekend with her sweety and (not knowing what would happen) put 3 in the tub at once - lotta whooping and laughing went on as they were taking a bath together in the giant tub -

o

Jo,
I am making oodles of soap loafs cut into 1" thick bars (goats milk base), several clear M&P soaps, decorative soaps (bakery line, Xmas, cello bags w/dinosaurs for kids, festival fish and adorable hearts, butterflys and flowers for little girls), body butter, lotion bars, bath bombs and lip balms. I have been swamped but can't wait.

My revised body butter has been a hit, almost all the recipes I got were to waxy and oily, I love mine, it is alot more work but worth it.

I just made Hazel's bath bombs and love them due to the lack of oil in them so I am making quite few different fragrances in those.

I am really unhappy with my flavor oil person for the lip balms, some of them are really lacking in fragrance and flavor, will be looking for a different supplier b4 next show.

Gotta run, TIME TO MAKE THE SOAP!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here