Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diabetes lotion

Posted by kat0101 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 15:38

Hey there, my mother has diabetes, and she recently asked me to make her some chamomile lotion. I found a really nice recipe that ive tried, its great stuff, but it does have honey in it. Do you think it could affect her blood sugars? If i take the honey out, will it affect the lotion? Thanks, any comment or advice would be awesome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diabetes lotion

Hard to say of it will affect the recipe, since you don't actually say what the recipe is. But if it is only a small amount, I suspect it would be OK to leave it out. As to its affect on your mother's health, I really think you should ask a doctor.

o

Honey will not affect your mother because of the topical honey/sugar concern and her diabetes.

o

My wife and I just found this site and are quite impressed!
Due to my diabetes my wife & I came up with a home made soap with tea tree and a lotion with tea tree/lemon grass. The tea tree/lemon grass is great for the skin and medicinal properties of the oils. The lemon grass also smells fresh. We have made soap/lotion with honey before with no adverse side effects as far as my diabetes was concerned. But it would be advisable to check with your doctor first just in case, as some people are more sensitive to sugar than others.

o

Welcome, to the new posters!

The concern of the honey is the sugar within the honey. As long as no one ingests the soap (lol) there should be no problem concerning her blood sugar.

The normal amount of honey in a bar of soap, would be approx. 1/4 of a teaspoon; I have used 1 teaspoon of honey per pound of oils (I get 4 bars per pound), and this is generally accepted as a good amount for most cp soapers.

Caution: If you haven't soaped with honey before in cp soap, the honey will heat up the recipe quite a bit while gelling.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here