Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shoulda asked first - adding scent to used wax

Posted by lov2garden (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 04 at 8:04

I'm not a candle maker so I should have asked you first before I placed a big order with BCC! I don't use lighted candles because my toddler sons (now in college) wouldn't leave them alone and my kitty cat doesn't seem to know her tail is attached to her and can't keep it out of a flame!

So with great joy, I embraced the whole candle warmer idea and have one going 24/7. A housefull of scent and no flame to worry about.

I started out using Yankee 14 oz jars with one of those pretty cappers with the hole in the middle. I found that after about a week or so, all of the scent "cooked" away and I was left with a jar full of wax which seemed like a huge waste to just throw away.

Then I got a bright idea-why not add scent to the now scentless wax? It would save a bundle! Off went the order to BCC for samplers, closeouts and sniffys. I read that one oz of scent is used for one pound of wax.

How do I add the scent to the jars full of used wax? Just measure, pour it in and give it a stir? Is there something more I need to know? Is this going to do what I hope it will do or did I just make a colossally dumb impulse purchase?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shoulda asked first - adding scent to used wax

Haven't ever done it, so no clue.
Never used the candle warmers either (However, fully understand the cat problem-same here...LOL!)

BUT if they melt the wax totally, it can't hurt to try. If it doens't melt the wax totally it could be dangerous as the oil would pool up right over the heat source.

IF it does melt the wax, & you don't like the scent from "pre scented" wax, melt the old wax, pour out, then add some plain wax, melt it then add the oil.

Again, I've never used the candle warmers, so I AM NOT speaking from experience, just taking a guesstimate here!

Hazel

o
RE: Shoulda asked first - adding scent to used wax

I tried the candle warmers that everyone is so crazy about, and I don't like them for the same reason you stated- for some reason the scent seems to burn off, no matter what brand it is, even one of my own, and you are left with a bunch of weak smelling wax. Whether "rebatching" the wax would work or not, I don't know. Since it will already have some oil in it, it may not hold much more fragrance. The wax would have to be completely melted and then the fragrance oil stirred into it quite well- just like making a candle from scratch. Then the candle would need to set up and cure for about a week. Feasibly, you could have a brand new candle or you could have a flop. You may want to consider using fragrance oils in water on the candle warmer. I know people that do that. It is essentially the same as an electric or tea-light fragrance diffuser. The people I know just put the water in something glass and heat resistant (like a coffee cup) and add some fragrance oil, and let it heat on the warmer. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here