Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using dimethicone

Posted by sriston (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 19, 04 at 7:32

How do I use dimethicone? I recently purchased some, thinking that it was the stuff that helped oils and waters to blend (like in body sprays) but as it turns out, that is another similar product. Now I have this huge bottle of dimethicone so I am looking for ways to use it. I appreciate any help or suggestions.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using dimethicone

Is it just "dimethicone" or is it "dimethicone copolyol ester" or maybe "dimethicone PEG-8 benzoate" or something else?

There is a difference. Contact the company where you bought it... they should be able to tell you what it is used for.

If you know the complete chemical name, do a google search. You'll find hits on all of the above names.

What was the chemical you thought you were buying?

o
RE: using dimethicone

It is just dimethicone. I have been unable to get a response from the company- they are having server problems. I thought I was getting cyclomethicone or something like that- something that makes oils and water blend together for body sprays, linen sprays, etc. I have done some searches, but most seem to refer to how much to put in when you are making your base. I use ready made bases (from SFIC) and I haven't been able to tell how much to put in or how to put it in (do you have to heat it or what). I appreciate any help.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here