Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE: Witch hazel hydrolat ?

Posted by tina_2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 13:30

Hi all. I found this recipe & wanted to try it. But , I have no idea what the, witch hazel hydrolat is. Can anyone, tell me? Is it, the same as witch hazel from the grocery store/ dollar store? Plmk. Thank you - Tina_2

Bubble Bath

liquid soap (unscented)
witch hazel hydrolat
almond oil
coconut oil
Vitamin E
blue food coloring
EO's: Lavender, clary sage, palmarosa, ylang- ylang,few drops of cinnamon.
It is relaxing and warming to the muscles.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE: Witch hazel hydrolat ?

Tina,

A little late posting but I just noticed your question and have the answer. Hydrolat is normally the "water" or leftover liquid from steam distillation of an essential oil. See link below. So... the question is how literal and accurate was the use of the term in this recipe? If very literal and precise then you have the answer. If it's a generalized use of the term then it could just be a low level witch hazel dilution readily available in the market - I would guess no more than 5-10%.
Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steam Distillation Process Diagram and Description

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here