Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Label 'wraps' for soap bars...help please!

Posted by iracountrygirl (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 03 at 11:57

I have decided to make soap for gifts. I was given some bars once that had about a two inch wide heavy paper label that wrapped around the middle of the bar and then the ends folded one over the other. An inch or so of each end was uncovered. The "glue" that was used felt like the re-stick it kind like post-it notes use. The labels were almost torn looking along the edge. Their printing was very nice too. I would love to be able to come up with something professional looking like they did so if I had time I could sell the soap too.

Thank you so much for any help you can give me.
Connie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Label 'wraps' for soap bars...help please!

I don't know exactly HOW they were done, but my guess is that it's similar to the candy bar wrappers they talk aboout in the craft forum.

As to the torn edges, it may be a type of paper cutting scissor or they may have used a natural paper & really torn the edge.

Remember if you are ging to sell your soap it should be labeled with the ingredients.
(If it's hand made from lye/oils it's NOT required that it be labeled, but it lets your customers know you are concerned about them. If it's melt & pour glycerin soap, it DOES have to be labeled, because by FDA guidelines that is NOT a true "soap" since it is made of multiple artificial ingredients)

Okay, off my soapbox now.
Best of luck with your soap!

Hazel

o

Hazel-
Thank you for the information. I'll check out the candybar wrappers in the craft forum.

I had no idea you had to list the ingredients with the melt and pour soaps. They aren't what I'm interested in anyway but still it's nice to know. You can climb on a soapbox with me anytime!

Thanks again!
Connie

o

Connie-

I'd use Rubber cement as your glue. It dries nearly instantly, and it's easy to use. You just dab a little on each side, allow to dry, and then stick the two together.

Instead of a torn edge effect how about a burned edge? Jagged cut the edges of your paper and then you can hold the paper edges over a heat source until they brown.

Heather

o

Thanks everyone! I found what I was after...cigar band labels with the "how to" set up instructions. The edges may have been made with deckle scissors. I sure am learning a bunch before I even start trying to learn to make soap.

Thanks again!
Connie

o

Connie,
Where did you find the cigar band labels? I have been wrestling with label design, too!
Susan

o

Susan - Do you have Microsoft Publisher? I have Cigar bands set up on that and it was really easy. If you have that program I will e-mail you the file. I get five per page and I print them on natural colored paper. They have the ingredients on them also. They are easy to modify for each type of soap you have. I just use a little rubber cement to seal them around the soap.

LMK
Heather

o

Susan- Just in case you or anyone else needs this info I'll add a link for the cigar band label instruction page. It was really easy to do but I'll need to tweak mine a little. I found it at teachsoap.com in their faq's.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: Cigar band labels

o

Thank you, Connie!
Susan

o

Crafty Girl,
Thanks for the offer but I don't have Microsoft Publisher.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here