Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Food coloring for candles?

Posted by LibbyLiz (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 05 at 0:27

If I choose to make candles again, since I sold my dyes with my glycerin soap-making supplies I had for a year or more & hardly touched them, can I use food coloring?

Before buying the dyes I used crayons for color.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Food coloring for candles?

No. The food coloring is water based and will not mix with the wax. (Like trying to get water and oil to mix.) The coloring has to be oil based.
Susan

o

Gotcha! Thanks!

I planned on making candles someday along with soaps, but decided to just buy them & shower gels instead. Now I'm back to wanting to make candles again. But first I have to use up all my store-boughts. I guess I'll have to buy more colorants again then! Oh well. LOL

o

Not necessarily. A crayon will work. Crayons are basically the same thing as the color blocks/chips that you buy to color candle wax with. If my mind had been functioning properly, I would have thought to tell you that in the last post! LOL.
Susan

o

Well then I'll go back to using crayons! LOL They're cheaper anyhow & you get so many more colors to choose from, without mixing!

o

Yep, I love the color assortment! LOL. I have found that "cheap" crayons don't seem to have the color intensity that Crayola Crayons have, so I stick to Crayola, for both coloring :) and dying candles!
Susan

o

I've also found out cheap (i.e., dollar store) crayons are harder & as such take much longer to melt, thus, more difficult to mix through the candle wax.

o
Candle Coloring

How do you color pre made candles?

o

Hi there. I am "trying" to help out some ladies in Sri Lanka to color candles, resources are very limited. Do you melt the crayon and then add to the melted wax? They have been told if they can make cream coloured candles they will get quite a big order. Any suggestions on making cream coloured candles would be very much appreciated. Thank you

o

Hi. You can melt both separately, then blend, but if you are doing a big batch you have to stir A LOT to ensure your color is uniform. Try instead melting the color into the wax as the wax melts until the right color is obtained. To test the color, drip a few drops on a bright white surface every now and then & let solidify. Test often. The new additions will melt quickly into the warm wax and can be stirred in easily. Hope this helps

o

I need some advice on coloring 100% beeswax for ornaments. I used black crayola crayons to color the wax and everything went perfectly. After casting the images I rubbed them with cinnamon and got the perfect look. Now, a month later, the ornaments are turning bluish/grey. It seems as though the bluish/grey tint is a powder forming all over the ornaments. It isn't bloom from the beeswax; I think it is from coloring with crayons.

Has anyone experienced this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here