Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RE: Hey Ronniner

Posted by tina_2 (My Page) on
Wed, May 24, 06 at 21:28

Hey Ronniner )
Posted by tina_2 (My Page) on Wed, May 24, 06 at 21:26

Thanks for your advice. I am going to try it. Here's what I was first told to do with the rebatch - use a crockpot to slow melt the rebatch & add 1-cup of whole milk, stirring every 15- min.This took 2-hours. Then add scent & color. I did all that. But, somewhere it went wrong. I will try adding some little chunks of it " it's really soft>- into another plain batch, I have & see what happens. Again - I thank you for the advice - I truly appreciate it! Tina_2

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RE: Hey Ronniner

I am going to try it. Here's what I was first told to do with the rebatch - use a crockpot to slow melt the rebatch & add 1-cup
of whole milk, stirring every 15- min.This took 2-hours. Then add scent & color. I did all that. But, somewhere it went wrong. I will try adding some little
chunks of it " it's really soft>- into another plain batch, I have & see what happens.

Hi Tina,

I wouldn't recommend to add milk this way to a soap recipe, but this is just me.

It is far easier to add powdered milk of (any kind) by adding it into the oils in the beginning.

Rebatching is a bit of an art all by itself.
Here are some general guidelines for rebatching in a crockpot.

If the soap is relatively new, less than a couple of weeks, shred it and add an ounce of water or so to the bottom of the crockpot. This will sort of steam the shredded soap above it.
If the soap is older, IE months, the spritz the night before and let it sit so the water can be absorbed into the shredded soap.

Then, add more water by the tablespoon as you see fit. The more plieable the soap the smoother the outcome, but the more water you add the more shrinkage will occur, the art is in the balancing how much water to add.

Also, you can add soap chuncks to the freshly melted soap (general guideline) up to 50% of the melted recipe. For X, if you melt 4 pounds of soap, then you can easily add 2 more pounds of chuncked or confettied soap to this rebatch.

You will always cook off a good part of the original scent out of the rebatch, so add more scent; I would probably guess another 50% of the amount you added to the original recipe. Add the scent after the soap has cooled but still pliable to get it into the mold, so you don't burn off the scent.

This whole rebatch method will take at least a couple of hours depending on how much soap you have in the pot.

If you are determined to add milk in a rebatch, then make a paste of the milk and try adding it. Added milk will darken your soap, so don't be too concerned with the colour outcome until much later in the game.

Adding milk in the original recipe you will definately get more into the soap.

With GM powder I will add 1 1/2 tbsp per pound of oils and stick blend it in.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here