Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the best scale to use?

Posted by ladyofsuccess (My Page) on
Sat, May 5, 07 at 21:00

I am in the process of buying all of the items I will need for lotion, soap and perfume making. What scale would you suggest?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the best scale to use?

Ladyofsuccess,

I might be the resident CP Big-Mouth here, so Ill pipe in with some scale requirements for CP and HP soap you might consider.

I will preface this with I use a triple beam scale, and I measure out each ingredient separately; it is most accurate for me, it is relatively expensive, my suggestion to you is to consider the better electric scales.

Decide if it is Metric or standard you desire to work with? Some scales have both.

Accuracy: I do not need a scale that measures to the tenth of an gram, so I need a scale that measures down to 1 gram accuracy.

How much weight will you (and in the future) will you be working with?

You might want a TARE feature with your new electric scale; if you are not aware, you can zero the scale with first the empty container, then, each addition of ingredients; so you do not have to add the ingredients together each time theyre added; just measure out what your recipe dictates.

Is it easy to clean? Does the base come off for cleaning?

Is the base large enough to hold the containers you will work with?
I use one of those large rubberized drink coasters that prevent my containers from slipping off of the base plate of the scale. (This figures in with the weight of the empty container before I start measuring out the ingredients, in fact, it never comes off of the scale, unless I am cleaning it)(Triple beams are not cleaned as easily as decent electric ones!)

Do not feel that you have to purchase everything new, check out second hand outlets for all of your hobby needs.

o

Whatever you do, don't get a battery operated scale. I got one for Christmas (I forget the name but it's a popular brand), it doesn't work right (it shuts off while you are measuring the stuff, and it claims it WON'T do that!) Get a normal scale if you can, plus you won't have to replace batteries.

o

I use a digital postal scale and have no problems with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here