Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie with candle questions

Posted by indianaplantlover (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 20:02

A couple of probably dumb questions. I buy tons of candles. I don't burn them I put them on the candle melter things since it seems safer. Is there anything I can do with all the candles I have after they have lost their scent?
Next question. If I want to make candles to just put on the burners, so without wicks, what would be the easiest way to do it. I spend a small fortune on candles so I might as well invest the money and make it a hobby and be able to make the scents I love but sometimes can't find. Thank you in advance. Vicci

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie with candle questions

Do you have a local craft/hobby store nearby? A lot of these stores now carry soy wax-- it's cleaner & isn't a pain in the butt to work with.

All you have to do is heat the wax (most are microwavable or can be done on the stove top in a double boiler), add the scent (also obtainable at craft stores) at a rate of 1 oz scent to 1 # wax & pour into a heat-resistant container. Let it "cure" for a few days, then use in your warmer. Obviously, if you're not going to light it, you don't need a wick.

If you think you're going to go through LOTS of scent, here are a few sites I've found have good results for the price:(search them as I don't have exact names) Gelluminations, Cajuns Candles, Save on Scents, and Candles & Supplies. I think all of them also sell soy wax, but it's heavy & you have to take into account shipping costs if you can't find it locally.

Good luck

o

If you make your candles out of soy wax, you can re-use the wax after it has lost its scent. You can re-melt and re-scent it or mix it with a carrier oil & plant butter (such has jojoba oil & shea butter) to make lotion bars.

o

If you make body bars out of candle soy, make sure that your fragrance oil is body safe! Not all of them are.

o

Good point simplemary. Thanks for adding that. Many Fragrance oils are good for candles and body products, but you do need to read the labels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here