Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about making candles

Posted by just1morehosta (My Page) on
Wed, May 11, 11 at 14:35

Hi,my name is Carol,please don;t think this is a silly question, I really want to know,Can I make a poured candle from bees wax?I do not want tappers,I would like to do jar candles, using beeswax.
Any one done this?
Thank you,Carol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about making candles

I am not sure. Beeswax has a high melting temperature, so if you are not careful, you could crack a jar. Also, it doesn't hold scent as well as other waxes. I like to blend it with soy wax, to get a longer burn.

o

Can someone give me a good recipie to follow for good smalling soy candles. And, what all items i would need to make them. And, where to buy them.

TY,
Kim

o

CandleScience.com is a good starting point. They have wax, containers, fragrance oils and wicks. They also have a lot of info on their site.

Some general advice. Buy small containers of some fragrances you like and test them. Every manufacturer is different and a scent you like may or may not work well in a candle. Measuring and temperature are important.

Most fragrance oils work well at one ounce per pound of wax. I like to add scent when the wax is at 170-180 degrees F, and pour at about 110 degrees F, for soy wax.

Soy is my favorite for container candles, because it holds scent well and cleans up well.

Here is a link that might be useful: CandleScience

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here