Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to soap making...many questions!!!

Posted by rainbowbrite (My Page) on
Mon, May 1, 06 at 12:56

Hello! I am just starting out with MP, and have a TON of questions. Please excuse my ignorance, any input is greatly appreciated!!

1. Can you use metal bowls/ molds for MP? I read that fresh soap shouldn't contact metal, but suspect this is for making soap from scratch due to the lye.

2. How can you be sure that so-called natural bases do not contain added chemicals? (I was planning on buying 'Life of the Party' avocado cucumber base from Michael's, but no ingredients are listed).

3.How many times can you remelt the base (I have a feeling I might mess up a few before I get it right LOL)

4.What is the difference between glycerin and regular soap, and is there a 'natural' transparent soap?

5. What is the difference between soap and detergent- is one petroleum based?

Thanks a bunch :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to soap making...many questions!!!

This might have some answers for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: M&P FAQ's

o

most mp is not natural. i dare someone to find some that is 100% natural. i doubt there would be many if any at all. if it doesn't have the ingredients listed i would steer clear of that brand. you may need to visit their website to see the list though. there are some really nice bases out there though and i want to say bramble berry had a natural base (or at least a %age), but i could be wrong.

o

I'm pretty new to soapmaking myself. I've done M&P and rebatching, but no CP. As far as a natural M&P base, I just found this site http://www.wisterialane.com/index.asp?PageAction=COMPANY and she says her M&P soap bases are all natural, except the clear. I'm going to give her a try!

Here is a link that might be useful: wisteria lane

o

2. How can you be sure that so-called natural bases do not contain added chemicals? (I was planning on buying 'Life of the Party' avocado cucumber base from Michael's, but no ingredients are listed).

You cant really be sure unless you buy all natural lotion base that has the ingredients listed. You can usually get this in sizes from half a gallon and up in most online soap and cosmetic stores.

3. How many times can you remelt the base (I have a feeling I might mess up a few before I get it right LOL)

You can re-melt the base a whole lot, the ingredients you have in the soap will begin to break down with the heat so you may have to add more (fragrances / essential oil)

4. What is the difference between glycerin and regular soap, and is there a 'natural' transparent soap?
The difference between Glycerin and Synthetic "regular" soap is just that, the Glycerin. Glycerin serves as a emollient (soften and smooth skin) and humectants (absorbs water from the air and moistens skin).

Here is a link that might be useful: Wholesale Soap Supplies

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here