Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to buy soy candles?

Posted by cremin (My Page) on
Fri, May 19, 06 at 9:42

Okay, I can't make candles. I don't have a clue. But my sister told me that soy is better and I don't know where I would go to buy them. I know I could buy online but I'd like to smell it before I buy it. Do any of you know where I might find some? I'm figuring you are all probably a good resource! I'm in the Upstate NY area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to buy soy candles?

Do you want to buy handcrafted or mass produced?

Not all soy candles are created equal.
And some companies sell a soy blend which is often mixed with paraffin as soy candles.

Check your local giftshops, craft fairs, farmer markets or bazaars.

o

Okay, I'll try that. So should I look for the hand crafted for the best quality? I heard that they are cleaner burning and environmentally better. Is it the paraffin that is the bad stuff? Should it say something like "100% pure soy" on the label?

o

Well I don't know about the 100% part. I prefer it, but that's a personal choice. But the "new thing" in handcrafted and even commercial is to mix in some paraffin with soy, to get a better "look".

I'm very content only using 100% soy wax. Not all soy waxes are created equal, nor are the people that use it to make candles. It's really a matter of trying a few and seeing which you like better.
Enviromentally better in regards that it's a renewable nature made resource, and in some cases seems to be a candle that people with breathing problems can tolerate burning.

What part of the country do you live? I can maybe suggest someone I know near you that sells them?

o

Hi! Sorry I've been away from here for a while but I am
so pleased to find all your responses. I will certainly
check into all your recommendations. (Oh, and Terrypacnw, I'm in the NorthEast -- Upstate NY.)

Do you all make your own? How difficult/involved is that? Would you recommend someone that has never done it try?
Thanks again for all your thoughts. : )

o

Yes I make my own. It's not hard at all to make them. It takes practice and testing to get it perfected though. But for personal home use it requires less perfection in the looks department.

Here's a link to some great soy candles!
She's a friend of mine in PA. She uses the same wax and oils I use. Two Sisters

Here is a link that might be useful: Candles and Supplies they have kits

o
RE: Where to buy soy candles? correction

Sorry about that meant to say paraffin candles contain petroleum which causes the black soot that comes out of the candles.

o

Um I make soy candles which are from 100% soybean wax, no additives. I only add fragrance oil, and I use natural fiber wicking. Where you have a fire and burning, you'll have soot. Sometimes, if I've over wicked a tester, I'll get black soot, not like thick smudgey stuff that is common in alot of paraffin commercially made candles but none the less soot...veggie, and soy candles can make black soot. And if burned properly a quality made paraffin candle will not make black soot either.
And there is truth to the burning of petrolum/paraffin can cause asthmatics to have issues with breathing, and some animals as well.

o

I have not burned a paraffin candles yet that does not make black soot and I have even tried the name brand ones and always get soot and black on my walls. I no longer will burn any candle but mia bella as I have never had any soot problems with them. They are safe for my kids to breath and my bird who is in the house and i dont have to worry about my walls turning black behind where it is burning any longer.

o

Do you have any 'health food grocery' stores in your area? All the ones in my area carry soy candles.

o

I love them too. They throw scent so well, and burn completely, with little or no waste. I have bought some nice ones from www.sentimentssoycandles.com. They are 100 % soy wax, and hand poured in beautiful jars.

o

You can try this online company, they make their candles homemade: http://www.EcoCandleShop.com

Their candles are 100% soy wax (no soy blends = no paraffin). All their scents are natural, no uv inhibitors or stabilizers, all wicks are 100% cotton and guaranteed to be zinc and lead-free. Their coloring is all-natural and eco friendly.

Small companies like this tend to care more about the product they produce.

Here is a link that might be useful: EcoCandleShop.com - Homemade Eco-Friendly Soy Wax Candles

o

I make Soy Candles and Tarts. I have been for almost 4 years and do good. I make them in my kitchen and they are hand poured. I have them in a florist here in Valdosta, GA and in a shop close to Charlotte,NC. My client base is growing. This is a part time job as I do work full time presently. My website is www.simplekismet.com
check it out and if I can help you in any way, please call me at 229-834-2858

o

We also sell 100 percent soy candles. If you're interested at all and haven't found a good company, there is one at (www.soylicious.com/stevenmasse) and if you need samples, I'd be happy to send you some. Just send me a mail via the website and I'll get some to you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here