Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Candle making - Soy Wax vs. Paraffin?

Posted by sazzy1 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 08 at 20:42

I just started a new hobby "candle making " and trying to learn about the different waxes. I been reading so much about how Soy is so much better then paraffin - burns cooler, cleaner,longer...... etc. BUT to my SURPRISE I just found out that "Party Lites Candles" are 100% PARAFFIN and my opinion P L are still the best candles ever made. I have not seen a candle yet that burns "cleaner and longer" They virtually leave no residue. I love them, I just wish they were higher scented.
Anyhow how come so many people are saying soy burns longer and cleaner? NO WAY! Maybe cleaner for "the environment" I can believe that. And I'm convinced that P L is still the most selling candle there is and yet it is Paraffin.....
So far I have poured 3 batches of candles ( 3 different types of Soy) with poor results :-( I know it's a lot of trial and error - but I think the next batch I'll try paraffin!
7 hours ago - 3 days left to answer.
Report It

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Candle making - Soy Wax vs. Paraffin?

I don't think I have an answer because I am just starting to make candles for a hobby too. I haven't had very good luck with ones that really throw a scent. Any tips you could provide would be great. I bought soy wax and used 1 oz fragrence per 1 lb. Heated it to 175, added fragrence, let it cool to sbout 120 and then poured. It smells good when you stick your nose next to it- but doesn't smell at all when you burn it.

o
RE: Candle making - Soy Wax vs. Paraffin?

Hello, I read your post and use to buy & sell Party Lite candles. I stopped using them when I found out that Party Light candles are not all made here in the USA which we did not like since we had no knowledge of the quality of the materials used in making their candles. We agree, Party Lite had a nice scent throw but the soot is far too much for our liking. We couldnt help wonder what it was doing to our lungs. So to find a healthier alternitive to burning candles, Many years ago, I became interested in making my own candles. I have sold them in my own retail locations for years. I have made all sort of candles using many types of waxes. Overall (next to beeswax) we prefer soy wax. There is no dispute that soy wax is a much cleaner wax to burn. We have had great results from our soy candles and our customers come back for more. We found that measuring our fragrances by weight, not by volume gave us a better scent throw. We also found that buying a higher quality of fragrance oil also worked well for us. At times, depending on the fragrance, we have used 1.5 ounces (by weight) of fragrance oil per pound of wax. Keep in mind, wax is like a sponge and can only hold so much fragrance oil. Too much oil and you can get the opposit effect and have a poor scent throw. It is important to mix the fragrance oils very well to make sure they bind to the wax. Without aggitating, we mix ours for about two minutes. Hope this is helpful.
Debbie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here