Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Candle Makers

Posted by LadybugVal (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 23, 03 at 19:38

Are there any other candle makers out there? Most of what I read on this site is about soap making. I've made soap before, and I'm wondering about a few things. Can the fragrances for soap be used in candles? How about the colors?
Where can I find two part molds for candles?
I live in San Diego, CA, and I'm tired of going to Michaels (their selection is kindof limited), but I don't know where else to go to find more than the basic stuff.
At this point, anything will help!
Also, I'm an organic gardener, and I am interested in using herbs and fragrant plants from my garden in the candles I make. Anyone know of any good reference books?
Anyone? Please?
Thank you in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Candle Makers

to a degree yes, oil for soap can be used for candles, but some have low flash points & shouldn't be used for candles. If you know where you got you scents from they may have info about cross usage/flash points. (Although, I've used pretty much any oil I had to make candles, they WERE for personal use, so if they caught on fire I had no one to blame but me........)
Colors I'm not sure about.

Candle molds-check alot of the soap sites mentioned on this board-frequently they carry supplies for both. Bitter creek candle supply & Wholesalesupplies.com are 2 I can think of off the top of my head. Also there is a candle company called pourette (don't know if that spelling is correct)...Also, check the web....go to google & type in candle supplies....you'll get tons of places to check.

Hazel

o

I make candles- have only recently began soapmaking. I purchase my candle wax (Astorlite J223) from candlesandsupplies.com. I get all of my supplies there, with the exception of fragrance oils. Although I purchase fragrance oils from several different places, my main supplier is Bittercreek (candlesupply.com). A lot of fragrance oils are safe for wax and bath and body products, but you have to read and make sure. I try to purchase oils that are wax and body safe. I have found that the oils will smell different in soap than they do wax. (I do melt and pour soap.) In soap, the fragrances are pretty much the same as they smell in the bottle. Wax alters the fragrance some, and so do certain soap bases like goatsmilk and oatmeal. You cannot use the same colors for soap as you do candles- you must use a soap colorant, and most are water based whereas the wax colorants are wax-based. I use food coloring for my soap. As far as adding botanicals to the candles- I have never done that so I don't have the faintest idea about that subject. I am including a link to a great newsgroup called "The Scent Review". I have learned ALOT by reading it.
Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: The Scent Review

o

Hi, I make Hurricane candles and get all of my supplies at www.candlesandsupplies.com. They are great. Good prices and good service.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here