Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Okay, I've got this chunk of M&P Base....

Posted by Toni_KY (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 18, 03 at 18:31

....and it's not 'scored' in those neat little squares! LOL

How do I figure out how much to use? If I want 4 oz. of base, how do I measure it? It is oddly-shaped, so I can't cut it in half, then half again, etc.

I thought about shredding it and then using a measuring cup. Would that work? Or is it too much trouble?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Okay, I've got this chunk of M&P Base....

you can either get a small scale & weight it as you cut off pieces, or else cut off a small chunk & them melt it in a glass measuring cup & see how much you are over or under.

That's why I just buy the pre scored stuff. The "Blocks" ARE cheaper, but in the long run, more time consuming.....

JMHO, Hazel

o
RE: Okay, I've got this chunk of M&P Base....

I agree with Hazel - after using the 2lb blocks for a while you just automatically know how much to use. It's easier to cut and handle. At first I was using a 10lb block, but even that was hard. I got so frustrated trying to cut it all up and it took forever. It costs more in the beginning to use the small blocks, but it sure does save in the end.

I did purchase a nice digital scale. You can get inexpensive ones right in the grocery store - the kind they use for measuring food ounces - but they are not digital. That will help you out. If you continue to buy large blocks I would suggest spending the $40 or so dollars on a scale from your local office supply store. They are digital and will last longer than the inexpensive grocery ones. And they're no brainers to read!

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here