SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alison_27

Body butter question

alison_27
14 years ago

Wow, Gardenweb really has everything! I'm so glad to find this forum and I hope you all will answer this question for me. :)

Last year I bought some whipped body butter from an Etsy seller. When it arrived, at first I was dismayed that it was quite firm and not creamy at all -- I had to dig into it like a balm and melt a pea-sized amount in my hands each time I used it. But the consistency has grown on me, and now I'm almost out. Unfortunately the seller has since gone out of business, and everyone else seems to sell the creamier products with water and emulsifiers in them. Now, making my own skin care products has long appealed to me so I thought maybe I would start by recreating this butter. But I want to make sure I'm doing it right!

What I know about the product I have is that it is "whipped body butter", that it's "60% unrefined shea butter with cocoa butter and mango butter", and the ingredients list is basically shea butter, cocoa butter, almond oil, mango butter, soybean oil, corn starch, vitamin E.

So I figure that I can just acquire the butters and oils I desire, melt them in a double boiler, whip them with an electric mixer as they cool, and decant into jars while they're still a bit soft. Does that sound right? I'm not sure why the corn starch, but I think it's the source of the "grit" in my butter so I plan to skip it. I guess my biggest question is, what proportion of butters to oils should I use?

Thank you for any input!

Comments (7)

Sponsored