Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
CP Question about water

Posted by nrynes (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 2, 07 at 14:33

Hi All,

I made my first batch of CP soap last week and I think it turned out OK. I'll let ya know in a couple of weeks after it cures. It was actually easier than I thought, and more fun too! I've been lurking here and have gained a lot from reading everyone's experiences. Thank you all!

I did have one question - in the recipe I used, it called for distilled water. That's what I used, but I was wondering why all the recipes call for distilled? Can I use tap water? Will that screw up trace or cause the soap to sieze? I figure there has to be a reason for distilled, I'm just wondering what it is...

FWIW: My tap water is chlorinated and is a little on the hard side

Thanks!

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: CP Question about water

I don't do CP soap..but I'm sure it's because Distilled is basically "empty" water..everything has been pretty much removed in the process of distillation.
And yes everyones water is different and unknown variables could reek havoc on things. I know that my well water has trace amounts of bacterias in it, even though it's clorinated and treated....

o

Thanks! I hadn't thought about the bacteria angle. Makes sense!

Nancy

o

Terri,

I think your response was bang-on.

Distilled water is a good bet that nothing in the water will interfere with the soap making process; like bacteria, and less of a chance that something in the soap will bother someone else.

I use town tap water exclusively, but first Ill make ice cubes with it.

I will measure out the ice cubes, put it into the Rubbermaid pitcher, then add all of the lye at once (I make 10 pounds at a time, for an idea of the amount of lye I am using), then stir till all crystals are gone and there is not any grit/lye bits on the bottom of the pitcher. Rarely (but sometimes) the lye does not entirely dissolve, and then I will wait and check; or pass the solution through a sieve while pouring the lye solution into my fats/oils.

Congrats Nancy on your first CP venture.

hth

o

So then Ron are you filtering the water?

Why the ice cubes?

Very interesting.

o

Hi Terri,

I use ice cubes so that I dont have to wait for the lye solution to cool down. I used to filter when I first started this hobby(?) by boiling the town water first; then did without the boiling (we have very good water, but I dont like the chlorine smell when I drink it)), now we have a new fridge and the filter is built-in (the ice is made by the fridge/freezer, of course!). I use a 30% water discount and use all ice, I usually dont add water to make up the ice weight difference, so I maybe a bit over or a bit short.

I like to soap cool/body temp, for both the oils and the lye solution.
I will prepare the lye solution, then add my additives to either the lye solution or the oils, , while the lye solution is just sitting there cooling; at the same time my oils/fats have come out of the microwave (these are always premeasured) and I wait for body temp for the oils. I do not super heat these oils, so it doesnt take long. Trace is in about 10 or so minutes.

hth

o

Hello nrynes,

I think that it is a good bet that if your water is good enough to drink, then it is good enough to wash with.

Ask questions if youre not sure about something, and if I can, I will help.

I am going on a little vacation for 2 weeks and will check back when I can.

Hawaii is calling.

hth

o

Thanks Ron..have a great time away!

o

Thanks for your help, Terri and Ron! I appreciate it! I'll be trying another batch of soap thia weekend - this is definitely addictive :)

Nancy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here