Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What EO and/or FO hold well in CP soap?

Posted by debikm (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 03 at 9:15

This has always been a problem of mine. How do you get the scent to stay as strong as when you first make the soap? Maybe I'm not putting enough FO in, not holding my mouth right, whatever! But, what do you do to make you scents hold?
Curious,
Debi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What EO and/or FO hold well in CP soap?

How much are you using? I've heard 1t per pound of oils is good, but then again it depends on the EO. I failed miserably with citrus until the last batch where I added equal parts litsea.

o

When I made my CP I was using 1-2 oz of frargrance oil/batch of CP. Depends on the quality of the oil. EO's don't require that much. (batch making about 28 4 oz bars)

Hazel

o

Okay, now I've ordered a bunch of EO's, so hopefully I'll start getting some holding power. I have some FO's left, maybe I should use them in smaller batches. I got a bunch of samples from TWFC a couple of years ago and only one or two have held any scent when I used them. Probably not enough for the amount of oils I was using.
We'll see what happens...
Thanks,
Debi

o

Hello (my first post here), citrus EOs are notorious for not staying in CP soap, the addition of litsea cubeba helps, but I would recommend a 5x or 10x o any citrus. These are formulated to be much stronger ( think that Recommend 1 oz. per pound of oils (ppo). Oregon Trail has these, in Oregon). Citrus EOs hold up much better in M&P, due to no lye being present, , but I have never made these myself.
Spice EOs hold up quite well and lasts for a very long time; recommend .3 to .5 oz/per pound of soaping oils.
hth

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here