Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ty-dyed soap?

Posted by sriston (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 10, 03 at 8:53

Hazel sent the most beautifully colored soap in my swap package. Hazel, you said it was "ty-dyed". How do you do this coloring effect? My husband and I are just crazy about how it looks, and we have never seen that particular coloring technique.
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ty-dyed soap?

Susan,
I'm not sure if I'm doing it "right", but what I do is melt the soap, & scent it, then pour in the mold. For the bar I sent you, I used 2 drops each of wine & tourquoise (LOTP dyes) dropped randomly on top (bottom, techinically) of the poured soap, & used a toothpick to swirl the colors, lightly.
They seem to migrate to the edges slightly, then sort of sink in a straight line toward the bottom (top) of the bar, then disperse out. As they sit the colors bleed into each other. If I feel too much color has migrated to the edge of the soap I will swirl a bit more, but I try to not "stir" too much as it seems to muddy up the color.

The first few I did I didn't like because they looked "wrong" but as they sat & the colors started bleeding it looked ok. I don't know how the ty-dyed effect will last over time, inother words, how it would look in say 3-4 months, but for at least 6 weeks the patchouli rasberry has held up looking good. I think eventualy it may "bleed" into a dark purple, but that's ok.......

Hazel

o

I've done them like that too Hazel - with LOTP color. Yeah - they'll look good for a few months, but eventually it'll blend into one solid color. Looks so neat while it lasts though!

Heather

o

Thanks for the answers. I am going to give it a try. If mine looks half as impressive as Hazel's, I'll be thrilled! By the way, Hazel, you have me hooked (until I find another fragrance I like better) on Southern Belle. I did order it, and I made several bars just for myself! That fragrance really lingers on my skin- more so than other fragrances I have used. I know that this is because of my particular body chemistry- like perfume.
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here