Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poison Ivy Soap ???

Posted by jan13 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 07 at 8:15

Hi,

I am looking for a formula or advice on making poison ivy soap -- preferably with jewelweed.

Thanks, Jan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poison Ivy Soap ???

slipty slide..I replied to you on the first thread.

:>)

o

Either yellow or spotted (orange) jewelweed will work. A couple of methods: first, just whizz the (well-washed) fresh plant, roots and all in the food processor & add the mook to the soap at trace. This will get all of the active components in the jewelweed in the soap but your soap will 1) look very "natural" & 2) probably rot in a few months. Second method: Make a tea out of the whole plant (a good handful per quart of water) & use this as your water portion to mix with the lye. If you must, add potassium hydroxide as a preservative. Don't water reduce with this method-- you want the max jewelweed tea you can get into the soap. Third, dry the plant & grind it really well into a powder-- if you don't grind it, it will scratch like h**l, which is not fun when you're already hurting. Then add 1TB/# or so to the soap at trace. I you are gearing up for summer, this is a better method, as your soap will be cured right around the first PI outbreak.

o
Poison ivy soap correction

I said in an early thread to add potassium hydroxide as a preservative when using fresh jewelweed tea in soap. I mean POTASSIUM SORBATE. Sorry. Have soap on the brain.

o

I have never preserved any herbs added to soap. For the very simple reason that once I stick the fresh herbs in my soap and hit it with the stick blender to form an herb/soap emulsion the alkalinity of the soap will keep the herbs from "rotting"in the soap. The soap dries out and viola! I have never had an issue with this and I have been making soap for over 15 years and had a shop. I have hundreds, if not thousands of big batches under my belt. The place you need to worry about preservatives is in cosmetics such as lotions, etc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here