Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Castille Soap?

Posted by magimay (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 03 at 21:30

Can anyone tell me what the heck is castille soap? I mean, I have seen it at the stores, but I have no idea what is its "selling" point. Can anyone enlighten me?
Magi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Castille Soap?

Methinks that castille soap is made with pure olive oil (no other oils). I think it's supposed to be really gentle. Or something.

o

I just purchased some today, mine is Kirk's original coco hardwater castile, a soup made from selected coconut oil. It says on the packaging that it's all natural, hypoallergenic, and no animal by-products. I would like to know also, is that the appeal?

o
RE: soap

ooops, soap, not soup lol

o

From the SFIC Website detailing their Castile Base:
Castile soap base: (25-30% kosher grade A extra virgin olive oil) Castile soap is the old time soap made for hundreds of years. Our castile soap base is made from mainly olive oil. It differs from our other opaque soaps due to the replacing most of the coconut oil with olive oil. We also modified the amounts of our other ingredients somewhat so that the Castile base is not a paste.

From the SoapBoiler website:
Per the FDA Castile soap is a soap that is atleast 50% olive oil

From The Real Soap Company:
Castile: Castile is the term used for pure olive oil soaps. It takes its name from the Castile region of Spain, where it originated in the 15th century. Properly used, the term refers to soaps that are 100% olive oil, which is thought to be very moisturising. Castile soaps are very hard and long-lasting when fully cured, producing a small creamy lather. They are difficult to use in hard water areas as the lather is not very responsive to hard water, but they work well in soft water areas. Read the label to check that a soap claiming to be a Castile soap is actually 100% olive oil, as many claim to be Castile even though they contain other oils.

HTH
Jill

o

Thanks Jill! Makes sense now.

Magi

o
RE: Castille Soap? and an intro

Hi, jumping in here and introducing myself.
I'm Debi, and castille is my favorite to make, so far anyway. The ingredients are readily available, the soap itself is mild, and if you have a stick blender, it takes no more time than any other CP to trace. I have a hard time getting my hands on other cp soap oils in any amount that doesn't eat my budget alive. Ordering online is the only way I can get a lot of it and that means huge shipping charges to get a decent amount. That's the only thing that keeps me from buying from Columbus Foods, the $25 shipping for 5 gallons of coconut oil, or any other.
Anyway, just thought I'd put in my 2 pence worth.;-)
Debi

o

I just ordered from the-buying-group.com and I ordered I think 19 pounds of oils and shipping was under $10.00! Great prices on oils BTW! You don't have to be a member to buy.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Buying Group

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here