Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to Soap-Making : a little guidence requested

Posted by snapjax49 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 4, 06 at 21:28

Hello. I wonder if you might help me understand some things better.

I want to make a lot of soap this spring and summer. I've been thinking about doing this since I moved onto farm land a couple years ago. I have some nice ingrediants growing on my property, such as rasberries, chamomile, flowers, appletrees, patchuli plant etc. I have a lot of neat things growing that I think can make good soap and scent.

I understand that different ingrediants call for different amounts of lye, but is there a general ratio known of how much lye is used for how much final bar soap product? If I were to order an excess, are sealing pale containers capable of storing a bulk of lye for a long time? Is airtight good enough to store it well?

How would I go about getting essences of things into bars of soap. Such as pine scent, or the patchuli or chamomile and other flowers... Would a chamomile-scented soap be acheived by incorporating a chamomile-tincture into the soap recipe somehow?

What is the simplest soap I can make for my first trial? ... ie can I use just lye, water, and corn oil for my first run at it? Nothing special just my first trial with my lye, safety equipment, and some household oil from the kitchen or something. Once I do that and convince myself making bar-soap isn't hard, I will start experimenting with recipes.

Anyone have a suggestion for a new soaper?

thanks a bunch

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to Soap-Making : a little guidence requested

I started out making CP soap, but now am making MP soap, it's so easy, you can make just a few bars or a whole bunch if needed. I would suggest starting out with MP soap, I've read up on the costs of the two and they both cost about the same to make.

o

True M&P is easy, but it's too easy and that's not what I'm after. I want to do things the traditional way. I decided to try my first batch with lye, water, and olive oil.

o

Hi - I found this site, has some info. you may need.
Also, you can make an infusion with herbs to - scent your soaps. To do this, is very easy. I do it all the time.
You need 3 - tablespoons of fresh or dried herbs -leaves only, no stems. Put them in a bowl & pour 1- cup of boiling water over them & cover them for 10-minutes, then strain.
You can put the scented water in your soaps. Don't forget to experiment with the herbs, you may find a blend you like.

http://www.soapnaturally.org/hayleyr.html#mp

Happy Soaping - Tina_2

o

Hello,
There are lye calculators online that you can use to determine how much lye to use. The simpiest soap you can make from Crisco.

o

"I want to make a lot of soap this spring and summer. I've been thinking about doing this since I moved onto farm land "

Go slow at first when making soap, they're many mistakes that can be made and some experimentation should be done first. After the first recipe has been made it will be at least 1 month until you get a good idea of what you have accomplished. I know you'll feel like an expecting parent soon after you make your first batch.

"I have some nice ingrediants growing on my property,..."

Each ingredient should and take some investigation to do it right; methods, amounts etc..

"I understand that different ingrediants call for different amounts of lye, but is there a general ratio known of how much lye is used for how much final
bar soap product? If I were to order an excess, are sealing pale containers capable of storing a bulk of lye for a long time? Is airtight good enough to
store it well?"

The ingredients that you mention that you might grow on your farm do not require any lye, only fats and oils

"How would I go about getting essences of things into bars of soap. Such as pine scent, or the patchuli or chamomile and other flowers... Would a chamomile-scented
soap be acheived by incorporating a chamomile-tincture into the soap recipe somehow?"

Tinctures, I believe are alcohol based and wont play nice with your soap making.
I have added chamomile into soap by steeping the chamomile in warmed olive oil for 4 hours, then using the olive oil (straing out the leaves), in the recipe. This will give you the benefits ofcamomile as well as the colour(yep, I'm Canadian):)

What is the simplest soap I can make for my first trial? ... ie can I use just lye, water, and corn oil for my first run at it?

I would use olive oil, the Pomice kind, it's cheap and you don't have to use the high quality stuff. And, it makes a pretty good simple soap; you may even come back to this soap recipe years down the road and some people like it even non-scented
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here