SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snapjax49

New to Soap-Making : a little guidence requested

snapjax49
18 years ago

Hello. I wonder if you might help me understand some things better.

I want to make a lot of soap this spring and summer. I've been thinking about doing this since I moved onto farm land a couple years ago. I have some nice ingrediants growing on my property, such as rasberries, chamomile, flowers, appletrees, patchuli plant etc. I have a lot of neat things growing that I think can make good soap and scent.

I understand that different ingrediants call for different amounts of lye, but is there a general ratio known of how much lye is used for how much final bar soap product? If I were to order an excess, are sealing pale containers capable of storing a bulk of lye for a long time? Is airtight good enough to store it well?

How would I go about getting essences of things into bars of soap. Such as pine scent, or the patchuli or chamomile and other flowers... Would a chamomile-scented soap be acheived by incorporating a chamomile-tincture into the soap recipe somehow?

What is the simplest soap I can make for my first trial? ... ie can I use just lye, water, and corn oil for my first run at it? Nothing special just my first trial with my lye, safety equipment, and some household oil from the kitchen or something. Once I do that and convince myself making bar-soap isn't hard, I will start experimenting with recipes.

Anyone have a suggestion for a new soaper?

thanks a bunch

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!