Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Delurking for a CP Soap Question

Posted by nrynes (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 19:50

Hi all,

I've been CP soaping very occasionally for the last couple of years, just making enough bars for myself and one friend. Have never had a problem until last night, so I guess I've had good luck. But last night I made a batch that I'd like your opinion on...and this was a recipe I had never used before.

It was a mix of sunflower, olive, and coconut oils. I measured everything correctly according to the book, the soap traced as it should, I added the FOs and stirred a little more. Still looking good. I then started pouring the soap into the mould and YUK! It look like it curdled and kinda separated once in the mould. I poured it back into the pot and tried to remix it, but it didn't remix completely. I poured the mix back into the mould and let it sit until tonight.

Took it out of the mould and noticed it was kinda floating in an oil/water mix. I would guess total amount of the oil/water floating around was abt 1/4 cup in a 4 lb batch.

My question is...do you think this is going to be safe to use? The back of the book mentioned separation...a little separation was OK, but a lot meant a caustic soap.

My problem is very limited space to cure soap...if you think this stands a good chance of being caustic, I'd rather just pitch it and make a new batch (with my favorite recipe) this weekend.

TIA!

Nancy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Delurking for a CP Soap Question

Hi Nancy,

"It was a mix of sunflower, olive, and coconut oils. I measured everything correctly"

Make sure that your scale is consistently correct.

"according to the book, the soap traced as it should,

Well, if youre sure.

"I added the Fos"

Fos for soap, vice candles?

"I then started pouring the soap into the mould and YUK! It look like it curdled and kinda separated once in the mould. "

What FO did you use? (Let me guess, a white floral? (

What temperature did you soap at? (The cooler, the better. Try around the 100F to 110F mark

"I poured it back into the pot and tried to remix it, but it didn't remix completely. "

Are you using a stick blender? Hope so.

I poured the mix back into the mould and let it sit until tonight.

"Took it out of the mould and noticed it was kinda floating in an oil/water mix. I would guess total amount of the oil/water floating around was at 1/4
cup in a 4 lb batch. "

(Guessing): Either the wrong FO, or it wasnt mixed thoroughly enough.

My question is...do you think this is going to be safe to use? The back of the book mentioned separation...a little separation was OK, but a lot meant a
caustic soap.

I have never had separation. If you think about it, your superfatting would be around the 5% to 8% mark of the total recipe. If youre looking at the percentage of oils/fats floating around in the mold, then I would HP it.

"if you think this stands a good chance of being caustic, "
If you measured everything correctly, then it would be lye heavy because all of the fats/oils didnt mix in with the lye solution thoroughly enough.
You could HP it (crockpot? Maybe?) Into soap.
I dont care for HPed soap, its usually rustic looking, but it is soap, nonetheless.
Usually, if you post the recipe and method of soaping that was used, maybe others might be able to pipe in?

o
RE: Delurking for a CP Soap Question

When soap seizes after you've added a fragrance oil, add warm water-- just enough to get it semi-fluid again. This is really hard with a stick blender but a regular electric hand mixer can handle it. Bring it all back to trace then dump in the mold.

If your mix will not trace, or if it separates again, my guess is that (1) your lye is old; (2) weights were wrong.

Sunflower oil, btw, makes a soft soap but an excellent shampoo & is often used in liquid soap recipes for that reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here