SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nrynes

Delurking for a CP Soap Question

nrynes
15 years ago

Hi all,

I've been CP soaping very occasionally for the last couple of years, just making enough bars for myself and one friend. Have never had a problem until last night, so I guess I've had good luck. But last night I made a batch that I'd like your opinion on...and this was a recipe I had never used before.

It was a mix of sunflower, olive, and coconut oils. I measured everything correctly according to the book, the soap traced as it should, I added the FOs and stirred a little more. Still looking good. I then started pouring the soap into the mould and YUK! It look like it curdled and kinda separated once in the mould. I poured it back into the pot and tried to remix it, but it didn't remix completely. I poured the mix back into the mould and let it sit until tonight.

Took it out of the mould and noticed it was kinda floating in an oil/water mix. I would guess total amount of the oil/water floating around was abt 1/4 cup in a 4 lb batch.

My question is...do you think this is going to be safe to use? The back of the book mentioned separation...a little separation was OK, but a lot meant a caustic soap.

My problem is very limited space to cure soap...if you think this stands a good chance of being caustic, I'd rather just pitch it and make a new batch (with my favorite recipe) this weekend.

TIA!

Nancy

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz