Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Trim Down the Tops of Large Candles

Posted by macthayer (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 16:05

I was wondering if anyone had a quick and safe way to trim down the tops of tall, round candles.. (?pillar candles?) You know how they can leave a dent in the center when you burn them, leaving a rim and making it difficult to re-light the candle. It seems this rim -- most of the time -- does not also melt. I've done it with a paring knife, which worked, but I don't know how safe that was, and it sure didn't look very nice! My husband and I love to have candles burning. Any suggestions?
MacThayer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Trim Down the Tops of Large Candles

Hi Mac,
I seen your posting and will try to help you. Here is some of the advise we give our customers when burning one of our candles.

To get the best burn out of your candle is first, purchase a good quality candle. We have found that cheap candles using sub standard ingredients (usually the ones made in China)are subject to not burning well. They usually have a terrible scent throw to boot. Sorry if this offends anyone but it often is the case.

When you burn a candle, especially container candles such as soy, a good rule of thumb is to allow the candle to burn long enough to create a complete pool of wax across the top of the candle. Each and every time you burn the candle you should allow this to occur. Wax kind of has a memory and the first time you burn it usually sets the tone for how the rest of the candle will burn. Many people make the mistake of only burning the candle a short period of time and it starts to tunnel down the middle of the candle. As a result, the walls of the candle become high and as the candle burns it eventually drowns it's self out because the pool of wax has no where to go. If you have a candle now where this has happened it might make it easier to trim the excess rim off by first lighting the candle, leave it lit for a while to soften the side walls of the rim. Blow it out and let the candle cool so no liquid wax can pour out, but not completely harden. This should leave the rim still soft enough to cut using a sharp knife. Be careful not to press too hard as to cave in the sides of the candle. Hope this helps.
Debbie

o
RE: How to Trim Down the Tops of Large Candles

Thanks so much Debbie! I will do as you have suggested! MacThayer

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here