Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1st try, no trace!

Posted by miscindy (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 15:54

I tried my 1st cp batch today. 1st of all, I forgot to use distilled water. 2nd I used a scale that was not digital, but had .5 ounce markings. I used a 1# basic recipe with olive, coconut and superfatted with 1 TB castor oil. I stirred by hand for 45 minutes. The recipe said it should trace in 10-20 minutes. I got nothing!

After 45 minutes I poured it into the mold. Do you think it will turn out? Is there a way to save it? What do you think I did wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1st try, no trace!

Well, it appears to be turning into soap. I cut it into bars Monday and they seems to be getting drier and harder. I assume that's what I'm going for! :)

o

Hi miscindy,

I tried my 1st cp batch today. = Congrats!

1st of all, I forgot to use distilled water. = Unless your water is terrible (you wouldnt drink it without filtering) then you probably dont need distilled water.

2nd I used a scale that was not digital, but had .5 ounce markings.
This is probably the first mistake the new soapmakers do by not using a proper/accurate scale. The smaller the recipe, the more critical the measurements need to be. The spring scales are the worst; theyll measure different every time!

I used a 1# basic recipe with olive, coconut and superfatted with 1 TB castor oil.
Posting amounts of each ingredient, sometime helps if others check your numbers (I rarely check others recipe numbers).

I stirred by hand for 45 minutes. The recipe said it should trace in 10-20 minutes.
I got nothing!
= Go to a second-hand outlet and by yourself a Braun stick blender, and save your wrist.

After 45 minutes I poured it into the mold. Do you think it will turn out? Is there a way to save it? What do you think I did wrong?
It does take some experience with identifying trace, the soap has a (hard to explain look) and thickness to it when it comes to trace. The "look" comes before the feel/thickness.
Depending on what the soaper wants to do with the recipe, like splitting up the batch, sometimes Iding this early trace comes in handy.

Let your soap cure for a few weeks before using it, I know you want to try it; the longer the soap airs, the longer it will last you.

Check on the internet on how to do a "tongue test"; I did this test for probably the firstyear(?) when I first started making soap.

Let us know how you like your new found hobby.

o

Tongue test: Lick it. If it zings your tongue, it's not ready. If it tastes like soap, it's ready. You WILL know if it zings your tongue. Rinse your mouth with vinegar afterwards to neutralize the zing.

Almost all soap is totally cured in 6 weeks. Err on the side of safety if you're not sure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here