Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Comparing butters and oils...

Posted by woodenspooncreations (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 15:38

Hi! I am loving this board! I just joined and have a question. I am just getting started in making lotion bars and balms and soaps and such. Does anyone have opinions about whether shea butter or cocoa butter is better for these applications? The shea is a little cheaper, but if the cocoa is better, then I don't mind spending a few dollars more. Is there much of a difference? Also, is it necessary to use more than one kind of oil? I had planned on just using coconut oil, didn't know if that was best? I had also considered using sweet almond oil, but didn't know a whole lot about that. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Comparing butters and oils...

I suspect you will get a nice result from any of the butters and oils But i like shea butter, because it is known to relieve irritated skin. And I like jojoba oil, because it has a long shelf life.

o

Hi! Cocoa vs. shea... hmmm. I like cocoa butter better because it absorbs easily and smells sooo good. I also love mango butter & frequently blend cocoa & mango together for my own use. Kinda pricey, tho.

o

You can buy both coco butter with and without the scent for soap making; if you don't want to scent the recipe then use the scented one.

I have people that prefer different butters and oils. You can control some of the properties of the soap depending on which oils are used in the soap recipe and how much superfatting is being used as well.

Generally, a combo of 2 or more oils (I usually use 5 oils in my recipes)are preferred; usually, olive/coconut, palm/olive, palm kernel/olive, etc.

Pomace olive oil is cheap (or used to be), no need to use the good stuff(I save that for cooking).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here