Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Friend needs advice

Posted by dee1 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 11:27

Hello all you lovely candlemakers. I'm usually found at the photograpy, Kitchen Table or Pet forums, but my friend needs help and doesn't have a computer. Her problem is that when she makes jar candles they appear beautiful when she first pours the wax. They are all nice and even across the top. However, once they harden there is a "dimple" in the center and the candles only burn in the center and she keeps having to pour wax out of the middle as it collects and would drown the wick. Does anyone have any advice they could give her? I believe she uses old wax from other candles that she didn't burn all the way down. TIA, Dee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Friend needs advice

Well because she's using old wax..who knows how much scent and color they originally had in them, and if she's blending old candles..(which would probably be different waxes) She's got something that has no safety factors in place.
First thing, if she wants to continue doing it this way is to get a bigger wick..And not burn it unless she's near....She's getting what's called tunneling and that happens when the wick is to small for the "application" it's put into. Is she also adding more scent to this wax?

But I'd recommend that she just pick a wax from a supplier as near her as possible..(A real supplier not Michaels.)
And use that...
She's flirting with danger and disaster using old already once colored and scented wax.

o
RE: Friend needs advice

I agree with the last post, too many things going on in that mixture to get it right.. but if she really wants to use the wax from the old left over candles tell her to buy a few tart pans and make tarts or fill the old wax into glass votive cups to use with candle warmers...... but I would not put a wick in it... :-)
Blessings & Hot frys!
tori

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here