Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What does the FDA require for M & P soap?

Posted by BuffyC (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 03 at 9:42

Hello There,
I am interested in selling my homemade glycerine soaps to a spa here in Virginia. They told me that their lotions and spa items must be regulated by the FDA. Does any one know, does this apply to the melt and pour soaps? Where can I go to show them that it is o.k. to resell my soap without FDA approval? Or is there regulations to be followed?
Thanks,
Have a blessed day,
Carolyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What does the FDA require for M & P soap?

Carolyn,
There was a thread here a while back I posted with labeling info. I'm sure some one will post a link. (I would, but no clue how....)
I can tell you that I contacted the handmade soapmakers guild about insurance for my business.
THe answer they sent me was that yes they deal with people who offer insurance, but to be covered you HAVE to label according to FDA regulations.
If making cold process soap you do not HAVE to label soap, because SOAP is not techinically covered by the FDA, or anyone else.
HOWEVER, M&P is NOT considered SOAP by the FDA, & must have ALL ingredients listed on an ingredient label, in the order they are in the product.

SOAP, by definition is the combining of oils/fats with lye to cause the chemical reaction called saponification to occur. In essense you are combining several "natural" ingredients, which combined together cause another "product" to be created-SOAP.
M&P soap is a a bunch of chemically made items added together to create another chemical (ok, chemical may NOT be the right word), which is why you have to label ingredients on M&P soap. Its essentially no different than buying a bottle of lotion from the store....you read the list of ingredients & they add up to make lotion. You add up a bunch of ingredients & end up with M&P soap base.

The company you get your base from should have a list of ingredients available, you can just copy it, add your own additives-clays, micas, colors, fragrances etc & print your own labels.

Hazel

o
RE: What does the FDA require for M & P soap?

Hopefully this is a link to the old FDA/Labeling thread Hazel mentioned. It has expired off the boards here, but this link should take you to Google's cached copy of the thread. Let me know if it doesn't work. If you read down a couple of responses in this thread, you'll find the labeling info.

Jill

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here