Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
using essential oil or fragrance oil

Posted by arkansas_girl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 29, 07 at 8:36

I'm wanting to purchase one or the other to use instead of perfume say to put on my wrist. Which do I buy? Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm thinking if I get essential oil I can use it also like in the bath water or to mix with bath salts? Maybe it doesn't matter which one I buy?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: using essential oil or fragrance oil

Either one, but both will have to be "cut" in a carrier oil to be put on your body.
Jojoba, Rice Bran, Soy, Sweet Almond..to name a few.
And either(EO or FO) needs to be skin safe..and some may even say to only use at certain percentages.

o

I have to mix them with oil? Anything else besides oil? I don't know if I want oil all on my arm...so what is the base of department store perfumes(or eau de toilette)? What could I use to make it more like that? Is it just alcohol? Like say what if I wanted to make a "toilet water" like they used to call it? How would you make that?

o

Here, try this...I think the link below will give you some starting points.

I make solid perfumes..
It's a little oil, beeswax and skin loving butters (usually Aloe) scent and use that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfumes

o

hey!im just starting to make scent tins and i love the the smell of plumeria and gardenia and jasmine but when i ordered those fragrance oils they smell horrible! i put them in my product and its awful,it smells nothing like the plumeria,gardenia or jasmine ive ever smelled!is there something im supposed to add?or am i doing something wrong?

o

Well unfortunately with florals..you'll get quite a variety of interpretations of the scent.

I personally like a Plumeria that I think is actually a Dupe of Bath and Body Works.
Which is a blend of things, not just the "scent" of the flower.
However if you are looking for a "truer" plumeria, you might want to look for a scent listed under Frangapini.
Again I think almost all fragrance oils that are florals are blends, not "true" single "note" scents.
Check out Oregon Trail Soaps..I'm pretty sure that Susan and Juan have devised some spot on florals though.

o

Hello,

I have had good luck with Plumeria from Brambleberry.

Be careful with all scents, whether EO or FO, especially if using on skin.

For example, I would use far less cinnamon (can you say ouch!) in bath water as opposed to lavender; measure by the drop in your bath water rather than by a portion of an ounce.

hth

o

Thanks for the advice! I actually found this place called tonys fragrances and oh man! they are so great! better than anywhere ive tried so far, but they are a little higher

o

Yes from what I hear, Tony has some great ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here