Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie w/question on M&P

Posted by MoAtWork (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 10, 03 at 8:15

Hi everyone! I'm very new to this craft, it looks like it will be addicting!
I love the look of the M&P glycerin but find that it is "harsh" on the skin. We only use dove soap due to sensitive skin, especially Grandie who needs a moisturizing soap. Is there anything that I can add to the base?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie w/question on M&P

Welcome! I have added about 1 T of liquid vegetable glycerin per lb. of M&P and that seems to help. You could also try olive oil, cocoa butter, or baby oil, but be careful not to add too much or your soap might not harden. Good Luck :) Becky

o

Hi there! It might also be the m&p base you're using - some of them contain some pretty harsh detergents, chemicals, etc... I have eczema on my hands and can't use most soaps but I'm fine with good m&p...

o

Thanks Becky! Coconut butter sounds good. Where would I get that? drug store?
Tararara,thanks for the info! I just bought whatever brand they had at joanne's. I'm sure it isn't high quality. Grandie has eczema all over so this soap won't be for her to bathe with. I did get concerned when my hands felt rough and dry after making my first batch.
Mo

o

Mo-
I get my cocoa butter from the health food store, but I'm sure if you tried other places you could find it. :) Becky

o

Your base may have alot to do with it, also if you are scenting it, the oil you are using to scent it with. I have customers who can't even use the stuff from a dermatolist that cans use my soap, & are so glad to be able to use scented soap again.
A good base & good oils may make a bigger difference than additives to a bad base.

Hazel

o

Thanks again Becky! I'll check the health food store.
Hazel, I guess I'll finish using the base that I have, right now I'm making favors for a baby shower and just generally playing around. What type base and oils do you recommend?

o

Craft store base is notoriously harsh. And, luckily, much more expensive than the good stuff! You pretty much have to get good base online - try http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/. http://www.brambleberry.com is a good one, too, and I've heard good things about their fragrance oils.

I prefer to use essential oils for fragrance, and some of them (like lavender) are really mild...

o

Mo-

Joanne base is the worst M&P ever. I posted that somewhere on the forum in one of my rants. Besides having an awful scent, it's awful quality. It's hard and dry. I'm definitely a huge fan of WSSP base.

Heather

o

Thanks Ladies! I guess that is why it was on sale! half price. I had planned on only doing decorative soaps at first, looks like I'll stick to that plan until this stuff is gone!
Thanks for the urls Tararara! and Heather for your endorsement of WSSP. Looks like I will order from there after this awful stuff is gone.
I should have checked here first, but unfortunately I just had to go right out and get supplies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here