SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pottershands

new soaper- too much info on net!

pottershands
18 years ago

Hi! I really want to make soap to use and sell. I have some of the ingredients and equipment, but I'm getting really frustrated looking at all the recipes on the net and different methods. I think I'm interested in hot method because of the faster cure time and not having to have the temperatures of the lye solution and oils at the same temperature. I have only 2 lb. of lard and 13 oz. of lye. I bought 2 deep baking sheets to pour into, a wooden spoon, spray pam (do you think I should spray the pans?), a candy thermometer and dental floss for cutting into bars. Do you think floss will cut the bars? I found a site talking about how "Granny" didn't need fancy scales and thermometers when she made soap in the yard. Do you think I really need a scale? I am broke and just want to make a basic soap to get started with. How much soap can I make with 2 lb. of lard? I think I'm going to have to buy a new pot. Mine is a nonstick pasta pot with vents in the lid. Do you find plain lard and lye soap gentle enough, or should I add olive or vegetable oil? I'm looking for easy and cheap here. Thanks for your advice!

pottershands

Comments (3)

Sponsored