Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
And the award to for the MOST expensive base goes to....

Posted by Jill_NC (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 03 at 20:06

*Martha Stewart* -- came across her site while looking for a mold. She gets twenty-four dollars for 3 POUNDS of plain glycerin base - w/shipping it comes to $29.95. The site does have some cute alphabet soap molds to make letters though...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: And the award to for the MOST expensive base goes to....

and the award for the idiot who can't proof their subject title goes to....ME! (sorry)

o

Ya know, jill...you say you don't like martha stewart, but you just admitted to surfing her site.

Just teasing! =P
Andrea

o

LOL Andrea! I have a project saved that was on her site and I was going thru my soap bookmarks. There was a blurb about base, so I wanted to check it out....omg, I sound like I'm rationalizing, don't I??? :-)

And it's not that I don't *like* her...btw, I hear she's weaving a living room rug out of hamster fur next week.

j

o

I'm totally butting in here (I am currently reading my 54th soapmaking book, but have yet to make a single batch)...but MS is a whopping RIP OFF! I once saw an ad for several items on a page in her magazine...one of them was for those lightweight wood berry baskets that you can buy at the farm store for 75 cents. She was charging $12.00 for 3!!! That was the point when I realized more than anything, that woman is the devil dressed like a homemaker (albeit a well-dressed one)!

Tracy

o

If you're looking for those cute little wooden berry baskets, check out ebay. I got 10 for $3 and I love them!
Susan, Princess Petals

o

Tracy, your post had me snorting water through my nose! Thanks for making me LMAO...and welcome to the board. This is a very suportive environment and we're happy to have another friendly face. =)

IMO, put the books down and start with MP first until you want to get more complicated. I originally wanted to do CP soap but like you, got a ton of conflicting information and psyched myself out of trying CP. Getting the chemicals and acids and fats calculation, etc, etc intimidated me and delayed my foray into soapmaking by 5 years.

Take that FWIW, YMMV and it's all IMO...HTH!
Andrea, who's in acronym hell right now =)

o

Thanks for the welcome Andrea. And I appreciate your advice...but *I'm goin' IN* (like it's war or something!). I am ready and when I get the kiddo to sleep tonight I'm going to make my first batch. Of course, if I go blind, or blow up the kitchen, well I'll definitly go for the melt and pour...

do they have brail measuring cups? Thats not very funny is it?

Wish me luck!
Tracy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here