Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fastest easiest way to melt base

Posted by knash6 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 4, 03 at 17:27

Hi all!
I need to be able to melt 5-6 lbs of base at one time and was wondering what the best way to do it is. I've been using the microwave, but only 2 lbs at a time and it's taking forever to melt.
Question #1- can you melt base in a crock pot, and if so, how long would it take to melt 5 lbs. of white base?
#2- what about a double boiler...how long does that take?
#3- If you CAN use a crock pot to melt it, do you have to stir alot, or can you leave it alone, do other things and then come back to melted base?

#4- any better suggestions???
Thanks alot...I'm stressing...;)

Kristi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fastest easiest way to melt base

I do 2 lbs of base in the microwave in about 4 minutes, have never used a crock pot but know others have.
Hazel

o

I read somewhere that you can use a rice steamer to melt base. I'll have to try and remember the source and post it for you. You can also use one of those big roasting pans (electric I would guess).

J

o
I found the source...

Okay, Kristi---here it was at Brambleberry...roaster oven for 15-20 lbs of base at a time, and a rice cooker to melt 5-7 lbs of base.

HTH!
Jill

o

Thanks for the info! I got out my huge crock pot and am going to try it tomorrow...any tips?
Thanks for the link Jill...I love that site!
Kristi

o

FYI- the crockpot worked wonderfully! It melted 5 lbs of base in a little less than two hours without me having to do anything to it! No stirring, nothing. I was able to make 18 bars of soap at once and Yippee...I'm thrilled!

Thanks for the great ideas...Jill, I'll keep that roaster in mind. ;)

Kristi

o

Hi Kristi - What setting did you have the crock pot on - high, medium or low. It sounds like a great idea, especially not having to watch or stir it. Thanks, Sandra

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here