Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to anchor scent?

Posted by christinah (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 16:54

I've been making this great peppermint soap, but am having trouble anchoring the scent. It basically dissipates after a month's time, which is disappointing. I am using just peppermint essential oil.

Any tips for me?

I've considered combining it with a fixative like vetiver or balsam of peru, but am concerned that these will taint the peppermint scent.

The other thing I'm considering is combining it with peppermint fragrance oil, to fix the scent.

What do you guys recommend?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to anchor scent?

You certainly could add some Peppermint FO...
I'm not sure what one would use to anchor Peppermint that would compliment it...
Okay did a little search. Anne Marie at Brambleberry, says that you have to find the right Peppermint EO..that some are better at staying than others..

and then I found this on a site.

Scents to "blend" with Peppermint.

Blends With: Lavender, Tea Tree, Camphor, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Anise, Eucalyptus, all citrus oils, other mints and Vanilla.

o

Yikes! I can't believe that you are having problems with peppermint EO staying. The Peppermint that I have used (from FPI in Vancouver) has staying power plus! I have used this at 1/2 of an ounce per pound of oils in CP. If you want send me an E mail through this site, describing your methodology if you like.

o

Hi Christina,
Second thought, post your recipe here, and let's have a look at it?

The observation that the peppermint EO is inferior is highly probable. I have had very good luck with this one from FPI.

Peppermint with vanilla is good; think candy cane, but the vanilla will disscolour the soap somewhat, depending on how much vanilla you use.

Finding a good peppermint, if you continue with this scent is a far better option, then using an anchor.

How much of this EO did you buy, and how much soap ar you making?

hth

o

Hi, I've been using the Aura Cacia brand of Peppermint EO that you can buy at Wild Oats and Whole Foods.

The first time I made Peppermint soap, I used 1/4 oz (vol) for 3.5 lbs (wt) of CP soap. The second time I made it, I used 1/2 oz (vol) for 3.5 lb (wt) of CP soap.

Sorry for the inconsistencies in units of measure, but I don't have a scale small enough to weigh out small quantities of fragrance.

With the second batch, the scent has stayed a lot better, but I'm hoping to improve on the scent even further. Am I just not adding enough to my soap to make it stay?

I've also added oatmeal in the recipe. Do you think that acts as a scent fixative somewhat?

o

Hi,

"The first time I made Peppermint soap, I used 1/4 oz (vol) for 3.5 lbs (wt) of CP soap. "

I measure the scent and the weight of the oils, just like you have above. The only exception is that I would have used approximately 1 oz. (Vol.) of scent

"The second time I made it, I used 1/2 oz (vol) for 3.5 lb (wt) of
CP soap. "

You have to follow your nose. You may like a weaker fragrance than I; but if if you are after a strong fragrance with staying power, then, more will have to be added.
May I suggest starting at .3 oz. (Vol.) per pound of oils. = approximately 1 oz. (Vol.).

This amount of scent will only work for a quite strong scent, some spice Eos will also follow the above senereos.
If you had of used a weak EO, like most citrus EOs, you probably wouldnt even know if you added scent at all, especially after the curing time.

hth

o

Hi. I anchor scents by mixing with jojoba before incorporating into the soap. Peppermint has a really low flash point, so a lot of it disappears as the soap does its gel phase thing, so I tend to add more of it than I think I want. I have had it stay in CP soap for over a year, but it becomes very mild. I do a lot of HP, too, and I have to cool the soap down to below 120 before adding the eo/jojoba mix, which is tiresome and sometimes tough to blend entirely & then get smooth in the molds, but the scent REALLY stays then. One of my fave blends of all time is peppermint, patchouli & vanilla-- all eos (vanilla is an oleoresin)-- in equal portions. Just luscious.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Soap & Candle Making Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here